Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 01:21:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Heat Gun Problem - any ideas?

Started by baileyuph, November 04, 2014, 05:48:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I have a new heat gun that blows heat but in time the handle gets hot (where it is  held)

What would cause this?  It is new but been in a box for sometime (can't return it). 

Brand:  Master Heat

Ever happen?

Doyle

gene

Is anything clogging the outlet? If not all the hot air is getting out it may be backing up and getting the handle too hot.

Also, if the blower is not blowing hard enough that may be the problem - again, not getting all the hot air out quick enough.

Is it a multi level blower? See if it gets the handle hot on all the positions? I think these things keep the handle cool by air flow.

Just some thoughts to consider. I'm not a hot air expert, although some folks might disagree.  :)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Before I would use that gun very much, I would go ahead and take it apart (since you can't return it anyway). Hopefully, something obvious will jump out at you once you get a peek inside.

Like Gene suggests, it sounds like the hot air is getting deflected into the handle somehow.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Not familiar with that brand, but some heat guns have an adjustable louver on the outlet to control the rate of air flow. If it is closed it can cause heating. How you are "aiming" it can also make a big difference. If you are square on to the area being heated and at close range the air has no place to go. Try holding the gun at a 45 to the area.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Thanks guys, all seem it is related to air flow. 

The gun does have three switch positions, off, med, hi and it has the air flow vent adjuster, however it doesn't off much range.  The gun does get hot but the heat is being obstructed for some reason, the handle and housing gets way too hot.

Now, I want to take it apart and start further analysis.  This gun is shaped like my old gun which was terrific for years, but must have been bought out as the label is different.

If I could get parts for the old, that would make me happy.

Like I said, will disassemble and see what I find. 

Bob T

Sometimes it is easier to replace than repair.  There's a bunch on EBay for less than $50.