Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 03:12:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Folding wheel chair seats

Started by sofadoc, September 05, 2014, 06:15:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I seldom do these, since you can order them so cheaply online.

But I have recently established a new relationship with a nearby healthcare facility. And unlike most, the project manager isn't so cheap-ass.

He has a ton of work for me, and he hasn't attempted to negotiate any of my pricing so far.

He has always ordered the replacement seats for folding wheel chairs online. But they tear easily. He said with each passing year, the average patient is creeping closer to 300 lbs.

I have no problem with making him some replacement seats that will certainly hold a lot more weight than the $20 ones you can buy from places like Amazon.

What I'm asking is...........where do I draw the line? If I make them TOO good, they will cost over twice as much as the Amazon seats.

On a product like this, is there a fine line between quality at a reasonable price, and price at reasonable quality?

I have made one prototype. For the liner, I used a 16 oz. mesh vinyl (similar to "Tuff-stuff"), and 1/4" sew foam sewn in to heavy black vinyl cover.

I figure I can fill his order of 50 at a price of $30 each. There is about $10 worth of vinyl and foam in each one, and once I get rolling, they shouldn't take more than 15 minutes apiece to make.

Does this sound reasonable?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

September 05, 2014, 06:49:33 am #1 Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:50:44 am by gene
You could make two prototypes and give him a choice. Better quality than what he is paying now at a higher price. Even better quality at an even higher price than what he is paying now.

I would keep it to only two choices.

If you give him a choice, be prepared for him choosing both - one for skinny asses and one for fat asses.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

If my name was on it - I do it the best way I know how. 
SA

Bob T

50 at $30 each is small change in the healthcare industry.  For him, the seats are a maintenance headache that he wants to go away.  I like the two choice idea.  Don't be surprised if he chooses the more expensive option.

sofadoc

Quote from: Bob T on September 05, 2014, 02:21:40 pm
I like the two choice idea.
So do I.
Sometimes, Gene uses his head for something besides a hat rack.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

my dad was in a wheelchair he used to get a geltype cushion so no preasure point to create a skin sore. they were not cheap as I recall