Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:26:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Volkswagon Frustration Level High

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, August 13, 2014, 06:56:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

So, I'm still creeping along on the headliner/top replacement on my customer's VW Super Beetle.  This project has definitely been 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards.  Cannot remember what I last posted on this thing.  I ended up having to remove the new headliner that I had painstakingly installed as I discovered that the frame needed to have a spot weld redone as well as some metal "L" tabs replaced.  So re-installed the headliner and continued onward.  Sunday I was ready to install the rear window frame so I was pretty stoked.  Once the frame is installed correctly, there are three insulation pads to install and then the top goes on.  Still lots of steps with the top install but done to the last "big" portion. 

Back to the rear window frame.  I had it installed but the bottom of the straps were just kind of waving in the wind.  Double checked the installation instructions and absolutely no mention of how to tie these guys down.  I'm sure that it is assumed you know what to do from tear out but my customer "did me a favor" by doing much of the tear-out.  GRRRRR.  Tried to start attaching the padding but it looked sloppy and I knew it had to do with those straps.  I have a contact from TheSamba website who agreed to answer questions for me so I shot him an email.  He emailed me back with the instructions on where to screw the straps down.  Searched around the back of the VW and fortunately found the correct screws.  Got the right side screwed in and went to the left side only to discover that the bolt imbedded in the firewall is stripped so there is absolutely NO WAY to keep that screw in place.  Went to a couple of auto parts stores and Ace and no one has the screw that I need.  Also, the wire that is used to control the tension when the top is raised and lowered snapped on one side and wanted to replace that at Ace as well.  You guessed it, they don't have that kind of wire.  So, this puts me in a holding pattern and meanwhile Frank is starting to get a little testy about the delay.  But as my hubby said yesterday, his "favor" has cost me at least a month in time.  I'm sure he won't want to hear that though.

I'm doing an install tomorrow on the 1912 EMF that I've been waiting on the owner to get his act together on the framing bows.  They do lots of restorations and I'm hoping that their restoration mechanic will have the correct cable or at least a suitable alternative as well as a larger screw.  Guess I'll get a lot of chairs for the restaurant sewn today.

On the bright side, I did see a similar convertible VW at NAPA yesterday and the owner was kind enough to let me peruse it to my heart's content.  Now at least I know what the finished product should look like.  I was shocked to discover that there will be a gap between the headliner and the frame.  Emailed my contact at TheSamba and he confirmed that is just the way they look.  Not a good look IMO.

At any rate, my rant for the morning is over.  Thanks (hopefully) for listening (reading).

Virginia