Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 02:15:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Weight of material selected for Patio Umbrella question

Started by baileyuph, July 01, 2014, 05:58:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Weight of material  - for patio umbrella - is the question.

Given the original fabric from manufacturers is relatively thin, are there any ramifications to go to a significantly thicker material?

Thicker material will add weight and bulk when collapsed - wondering if the heavier material will not be a good idea functionally?  

This issue came up when it was noted fabric equal to manufacturers doesn't seem easy to find - usually it is very thin.

Any thoughts on going ahead with available heavier mateials?

Anyone tried this with satisfaction or regrets?

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  I've never made a patio umbrella but why not just use Sunbrella? Comes in many weights and is great outdoors.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Paul, your idea/suggestion is what we want to do but do not understand if there are
ramifications for going a little heavier than standard manufacturers weight ?

We have found (customer actually) sunbrella material a bit heavier than existing canopy was made with (being cautious), are wanting to know if anyone has used heavier than the standard weight?

I guess the essence of our question depends on the strength of the frame.

Doyle

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

maybe suzi (grebo) will post she just made one on fragged site http://www.snuggs.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=189.0

ajlelectronics

The manufacturer uses lightweight (often Ripstop) fabric because it is cheap to make and the lower weight helps with carriage costs.

I have used a heavy PVC coated canvas to make a garden swing canopy and it's great. Customer couldn't let me have the frame, so I patterned off the old one. When offered up, it was 3" too small, so I had to let in a stripe each end. THEN he says "Oh I would have brought the frame if I had thought".  Still, the pieces let in looked like a deliberate feature, so not an issue apart from the extra time.

Don't be afraid to use whatever fabric you fancy, anything has to be better than OEM!

baileyuph

Yes, Paul - cushion weight material is the material in question.

The umbrella frame - they are also light weight, not only the canopy fabric - how much weight can they support, can't compare to a bench swing canopy?

Doyle

bobbin

We had an umbrella (aluminum frame) that was covered in marine/awning weight Sunbrella.  The panels alternated between charcoal grey and natural.  It collapsed easily, went up easily, and was really quite nice.  Until it was left out near the woodstack and the mice found it... .  I shouldn't think the heavier weight acrylic would pose a problem. 

Grebo

Thanks Mike, I hadn't seem this thread.

Well I have done one garden parasol with reacril.
My first mistake was trying to use the old cover as a pattern, yeah I know rooky mistake, but the parasol was 3 x 4 m heavy wooden frame & I couldn't get it in my car & patterning on site was a non event.
So after the first attempt, I got the thing picked up with the van & made a fresh start.
My biggest problem was the difference between the original thinner 'stretchy' material because the reacril has virtually none.
Other than that, making a pattern with it stretched out open on the ground was fine, then had to put it all together & mark up the top vent section with it open & closed, here is where the no stretch gets interesting. Because of the shape on the top of this parasol the side's get slightly longer when it's closed up. So mark the connections generously here, which means when it's opened up the top vent is a bit large & baggy. Closed it's snugg & the material doesn't drop off the poles.
End result looks really nice & should last a long time.

Hope that helps.

Suzi

baileyuph

Grebo, to make sure I read you correctly;  to pattern, did you do that with the umbrella open and the old cover removed?

Therefore, if so, you measured the length of each support (sometimes there are 8), then measured the spacing between each support at the extended edge.  This gives the shape of each wedge (all should be equal)? 

Plus you are explaining that the length of each wedge (with covering on) gets longer
which is attributed to material being heavier and less stretch.

Lot of geometry in an umbrella, your comments about the properties of the original material compared to the heavier materials used are very meaninful to this effort.  It carries a high degree of understanding as to why it is seen on patio and hand held umbrellas for that matter. 

The pockets at the end of each end seam (joining the pieces shaped as a pie) have two dimensions, one to fit the end of the arm and the other how far to extend up the arm.

Like said already, lots of geometry going on. 

Any further clarifications will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Doyle

BTW, anyone able to get into the link Mike provided above?

Grebo

Quote from: DB on July 03, 2014, 06:23:34 am
Grebo, to make sure I read you correctly;  to pattern, did you do that with the umbrella open and the old cover removed?

Yes, I actually taped the whole thing out, all the way around to make sure the panels were even
Therefore, if so, you measured the length of each support (sometimes there are 8), then measured the spacing between each support at the extended edge.  This gives the shape of each wedge (all should be equal)?  
On the one I did, because it was 3m x 4m there where two different panel shapes ( wedge)

Plus you are explaining that the length of each wedge (with covering on) gets longer
which is attributed to material being heavier and less stretch.
Yes & no, the reason the lenght gets longer is because when the top of the wooden arm / pole pivots downwards it sticks out more, right at the top. Which would just stretch the lighter material

Lot of geometry in an umbrella, your comments about the properties of the original material compared to the heavier materials used are very meaninful to this effort.  It carries a high degree of understanding as to why it is seen on patio and hand held umbrellas for that matter.  

The pockets at the end of each end seam (joining the pieces shaped as a pie) have two dimensions, one to fit the end of the arm and the other how far to extend up the arm.

Like said already, lots of geometry going on.  

Any further clarifications will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Doyle

BTW, anyone able to get into the link Mike provided above?

BTW there is a sailrite video which is quite helpful, but they do use lighter material.
http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Sew-a-Patio-Umbrella-Video#.U3CmAcu9KSM

Suzi

Judy_Boat

heavier material will be bulkier when umbrella folded up.
I have a phiphertex umbrella, that is very bulky when folded up.
Mostly, the issue is do you think the frame you have can take the weight and when pulling the umbrella closed the  bulky material will not cause the frame to bend?
The mechanics of closing may be affected by bulk of the material pushing against it.

Pattern wise, slightly stretchy material will be more forgiving of slightly off geometry. Very stiff material will wrinkle rather than readjust itself

Mike