Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 01:23:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Left arm rotator cuff pain

Started by JuneC, June 18, 2014, 06:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Wow!  setting up a workroom is so very personal.  I'm a statuesque 5'5" and tables at 36"H are perfect for me.  No bending, just a comfortable stretch to reach across the 72" width of my tables. 

I used that measurement (36") as my starting point.  My sewing machine benches were too low even when set at their highest point.  AND THAT'S WHY WE PUT BLOCKS UNDER THE FEET OF THE K LEGS WHEN THEY WERE SET AT THEIR HIGHEST LEVEL. Putting blocks under the legs (already set at their highest settings) eliminated the need to Gerry-rig the treadle settings.  And that's where buying shop chairs that could be raised beyond the range of "office" chairs kicked in!  Tables and benches were well above the uppermost capacity of "office chairs" and shop chairs are more adjustable.  I don't spend a lot of time with my can on a chair, so I don't care a fig about "padding".  Shop chairs are fine, and they're pretty cheap!

I have 2 older machines and I know that adjustability for treadles can vary a lot.  2 of my machines have "H" legs and that was a pain.  One I will leave with "H" legs (cool machine and "vintage") the other will be converted to Ks ASAP (and will receive the last non-Servo motor in my shop!).

byhammerandhand

While not related to Rotator Cuff,  here is some good advice on avoiding repetitive stress injury on hands and back.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2004-164/pdfs/2004-164.pdf
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Mojo

Mike: The seat adjusts from 26 " - 32 ".

Just went out and measured it for you.

Our tables are at 32 " and with the seat all the way down at 26 " it puts us on " TOP " of the work
which is where I like to sew from versus a sideways angle where I feel like I am pushing fabric from a sideways angle.

In contrast a standard office chair at full height adjustment is 21 " which is too low for me. I find it easier to push fabric from an elevated height. That 5 extra inches makes a big difference.

Chris