Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 09:10:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cordless

Started by brmax, April 07, 2014, 02:08:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Don't laugh, but I haven't owned one since 02 it crapped out then. I did buy one for work in 2010 a do all type, big and on sale. Since I retired and at home I have several corded and all are old and well used mainly concrete and steel, so One for the biz is needed and im considering what I might need it for most and I need one for driving small stud type screws for snaps and such. Do any of you all like a model that you use over another, I glanced at the small ones with whatever the newest batteries are ion I thought. I have to look at some handy types out there a bit more before any decisions are made and I am proud to say your opinions matter a great deal.

Mojo

Believe it or not I have been using the Black & Decker Firestorm 18 V cordless drills for 3 years now and still have the original batteries.

Last year I bought myself a complete set of cordless Porter Cable 18 v Lithium battery tools. Recip saw, drill, spotlight and impact driver.

I would avoid Skill tools as I had horrible luck with their batteries. I would also stick to the 18 V and not get into the lighter voltages and whenever possible use Lithium batteries.

Chris

Mike

I have 2 Ryobi a small and a large id be lost installing on a boat snaps  tops ect,.   not many outlets on a dock

MinUph

In this line of work many cordless tools will do. In a past career I've owned and used up Dewalt, Bosh, Sears, and the best was Panasonic 15.5V by far. That was in remodeling. I recently bought a Ryobi as I figured it would be fine for what I do now. I hate it. The chuck is hard t keep tight, the batteries are real crap. If you leave it unused even when fully charged it dies. I still have a couple Panasonics but the batteries have seen their day. I will be replacing the batteries soon as I miss the quality.
  As in any tool do you research and buy the best you can.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Thanks guys, I stopped in lowes and had to look over a 12v bosch I heard about,  I am blaming it on the show even though I Cant stand watching this old house, because Tommy has new tools every time I see it.  All though this drill wasn't on the program today and this 12v is not for everything surely but looks real handy for what I am considering. I am not real up on the driver type drill bits I seen. I am looking around for a while it has always been the best strategy, and better yet getting other views and I appreciate the help.

Darren Henry

I got spoiled using an impact driver for the last couple of years.they are so much better than a regular screw gun that I convinced the boss to replace it when it died.we picked up a 12V hitachi yesterday that looks like it should work well.

In shopping around I found that,at least up here, the combo [drill/impact] sets are only 10's of dollars more than buying one of the pieces separately. This gives you a second battery and the ability to jump back and forth between a drill for pilot holes and the impact to set the screw without having to stop and re-chuck.

My personal "fave" is the 20 V Dewalt set.Very compact and the balance in the hand is incredible. The light on the impact is very bright and a real godsend at times. My co-worker has had his for around a year and is very happy with it. He's an RV tech so I will call them "contractor approved".

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I concur with Paul about the Ryobi. Loose chuck, batteries don't last.

I also concur with Darren about buying a whole new rig for just a few bucks more than buying individual replacements. I can usually find some 5 piece kit on sale for just a little more than the cost of replacement batteries for my old cordless.

I have a buddy who used to buy a new printer every time he needed a new ink cartridge. The new printer came with cartridges for around $35. The replacement cartridges were $17.95 each. He would then sell his old printers at a garage sale.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Great ideas you all, Darren I just been looking over the impact versus drill and real close to your same thought so any more on that im all ears on the experience serious, I am going to look at some red 12v fuel series by Milwaukee a bit. I really like the hex driver idea no matter what brand, I think I would look at what are the stubby drill bits and just get a few I plan to use most 9/64/, 11/64.  I agree on the printer totally, I have gone broke buying ink in the past for school papers and just printing because everyone could. Dennis I wish I was a smart as the fella you mention,  but the pleasure I had throwing them in the trash. it was therapy I do say
Good day
PS I picked up a red porta-band ac/dc its noisey but no sparkys, so its time to build material cart

Darren Henry

QuoteDarren I just been looking over the impact versus drill and real close to your same thought so any more on that im all ears on the experience

I find that an impact driver is far less likely to slip off a screw, eventually strip out that screw,or tire out my wrist. No doubt because it requires less torque and they tend to be smaller than a drill.

My best advice would be to ---borrow one from a friend, ask for a demo at  the store--? and take one for a spin. Cordless drills were just coming out when I left home and quit working with Dad [electrician]. We had always screwed electrical boxes on with a manual screw driver and these "new gadgets" seemed a waste. I came home to visit shortly after he got his first one and he had some job to do that weekend so I gave him a hand. WOW, occasionally technology &progress are a good thing.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

Any time I've seen Panasonic in a tool review of cordless drills, it's come out as  one of the best.

I've been through 2 Makitas and most of a Hitatchi and Metabo cordless.  The Metabo also went through a set of rebuilt batteries.  The last one I bought was a Ridgid from Home Depot. While not top rated, it came with a lifetime service agreement on the batteries.  I'm on my second set of replacements now in about 7 years.   My local repair shop swaps them out over the counter and fills out a few forms.    Maybe I'm hard on cordless tools?

I got an impact driver a few years ago and couldn't stand the thought of spending almost $200 for a cordless tool and have the batteries go bad, need $100 in batteries to get it back to life.   I found one corded model, a Makita, that I've been happy with.   I can now do a large deck and drive screws all day long.    Since then, Porter-Cable has also come out with a corded model.   And many of the brands are offering the combo backs for between $100 and $150.

I don't have much use for cordless tools other than the drill / driver.   If I was working on roofs or bridges, maybe, but I've never more than 12' from an outlet most places that I work.    And I have some heavy-duty extension cords.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison