Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 09:37:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Well That Was a Bright Idea....NOT !!

Started by Mojo, April 01, 2014, 08:16:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I finished off the new cutting table which is approximately 8 ft wide x 14 ft long.

I got this bright idea of making them modular, meaning I would build the cutting table in four
sections. This would make it easier if we wanted to move them to a new building in the future.

D U M B - idea.

I used melamine for the top and at every seam I have a slight drop or ridge. They are off by maybe a 32'nd of an inch. Just enough to snag fabric or prevent a smooth running of fabric while sewing.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to flatten the seams and make them tight and even.
Heck I thought of a slight coat of bondo across the seams and a few other ideas. None sound to damn impressive.

I would appreciate any ideas. That little itty bitty tiny ridge is driving my OCD into high gear. I hate to overdose on .....lol...:)

I tried leveling by shimming each intersection but that seems hopeless as you get to chasing that ridge all over the place.

Ideas anyone ? How do the rest of you handle this on your tables ? Those edges on melamine can be sharp.

Chris

whtwter

Can you post a picture. I have a few solutions that may work if I am picturing the issue correctly but I would have to see how it is constructed to give any advice.

Cheers, Chris

Allan

Chris
I am not sure how thick your table top is but if you run a groove down each edge and then use a spline to join it level then a few straps underneath to hold it together

Similar to tounge and groove flooring

Failing that a strip screwed up under the table over the join that can be removed when relocating the table

Allan

SteveA

Metal straps underneath to hold the tops together - maybe even some biscuits if you know someone with a biscuit joiner.  Once the tops are secure you can get a strong tape across the seam like the tape they use around exterior window openings.  It come 4 inches wide and is a very strong adhesive.

However the better solution is one continuous new top surface across all sections but I can't think of a product that will be easy to install and big enough for your needs ?   If you have the ability + budget  - cover the tops with plywood - lay formica down using a seaming router to join the edges. 

Third option = you don't want to hear my last suggestion !

SA

Mike

WhT i eould do is (it wont be seperate) remove tye topmamine Nd screw the bases together makeing the joints even then reusing te melamine but oveapthe joined bases and the you will have to cut the lther to finnish the top. Run a solod uncut piece a ross the joined bbasses this should make. Smothe transition and were you do have a top melamine butted to. Second piece have a 2x4 support at the joint. As with drywall in your home.

bobbin

My tables are not perfectly in height alignment one to another either.  Doesn't affect the ease with which I can stitch really long runs, either.  All my tables are 8' long and are either 72" or 48" wide. 

brmax

I think you started off with good intentions Chris, I did have an opportunity to se some bigger tables not with quality top as you mentioned. The shop has boat storage and at times of the year are taken apart to get the boats out 8 big 35-45' they made the table look small yet its like im guessing 16 x 24' (at least) with 3 stations laddered some on one side. Anyway c clamps are used I noticed, but the plywood is painted so sanded some on edge I would guess. I recall you did some shop work so is it possible to route the edge a bit as a chamfer. I can imagine its a two person job clamping, You might drive some screws on one of the side boards to use as a pry for leveling the surface then clamping when someone hollered. Crazy question what height did you decide on as I am in a table planning stage and am using stools at the machine.
Thanks for the discussion
I suggest getting someone else you don't have to see at night to holler, ask me how I know.
Good Day