Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:27:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Finding a good sewing machine mechanic.

Started by scott_san_diego, March 01, 2014, 05:34:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scott_san_diego

Finding a good sewing machine mechanic is hard to do now.  There are not that many out there.  Sometimes I will have guys call call me and save there phone number on my phone.

On Thursday one of my machines had the presser lift arm assembly break while we were are sewing 100 equipment bags.  So I go to call a mechanic and 2 of the numbers in my phone have been disconnected.  Another guy I have used before is good but not great.  I called this other mechanic, he was able to come out within and hour.  He tells me what parts I need.  I order them while he is at my shop.  Should have the parts by Thursday.
Have him look at my Consew 206RB1.  My guy was trying to use it to continue with sewing these bags.  But it was out  of adjustment.  Have the mechanic look at it, he makes some adjustments on it.  Seems to be better.  He leaves, and about 10 minutes later my employee comes to me and says the machine is now sewing good again.

Mike

I had a good buy in naples 2 hours away who retired when I needed him so I found a guy closer in ft myers who like 80 did a great job and I should have him service my other 2 machines before he quits too

gene

March 02, 2014, 06:16:33 am #2 Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:17:28 am by gene
No new people seam to be learning sewing machine repair, unless it's us upholsterers for our own machines. (Did you notice that I misspelled "seem".)

There aren't a lot of sewing companies in the USA any more. Still some, but most sewing is overseas.

Home sewing folks are still around but their numbers are getting smaller and smaller.

Almost all sewing machine repair stores around here also repair vaccuum cleaners. Why? When did that connection get made and why?

Computer aided sewing machine repairs have become like auto repairs for many mechanics. Just start replacing parts until you get it fixed.

I've seen videos where a company is running a production type machine made in the late 1800's to early 1900's and there are no more parts for the machine, let alone an outside company to work on it. Some companies will have their own fabricating department to make a new part when an existing one breaks.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

scott_san_diego

Gene,  That is very true.  I do have the parts manual and and mechanic manual.  I looked through both manuals yesterday again.  I think I will try and replace the part myself.  It doesn't look to hard.
I asked the the guy that came out on Thursday how long he thought it might take to replace the part, he said around 3 hours.