Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:25:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Some things are just wrong.

Started by gene, March 02, 2014, 06:06:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I reupholstered an antique settee this week. The previous upholsterer did a fine job. He also replaced the jute webbing on the seat and back springs.

I would think the previous upholsterer did mainly autos because he used the wide staples and hog rings on the seat springs AND the back springs.

Yes, those hog rings on the back springs were sticking out like sharp spikes. To save a few minutes and create a hazard is just wrong in my book.

I can't imagine that settee sitting out in the room. You would have to have it up against a wall.

Using hog rings on the deck is understandable, although I don't like those sharp spikes sticking downward where they can snag a cat or someones' hand or a child playing under the furniture.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

March 02, 2014, 06:36:05 am #1 Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:37:26 am by kodydog
Good points Gene. In my shop I do furniture only. And you will find no hog rings there. I'm sure they are fine for there intended use, auto upholstery, but find them to be sloppy on upholstered furniture. When used to hold springs to webbing it leaves a loose spring. Unlike a clench-it tool or simply tying them on.

I've re-reupholstered pieces for the folks I work for in town. I noticed the last upholsterer used to use hog rings to hold the edge roll down on spring edge seat fronts. Very loose and sloppy. I sew them on and when done they are rock solid.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Even the clench it tool leaves a sharp point - am I wrong ? -   doesn't take that long to tie the springs. 
SA