Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 06:29:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Like a Phoenix ....

Started by Darren Henry, January 25, 2014, 08:58:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

January 25, 2014, 08:58:08 am Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:01:02 am by Darren Henry
Like a Phoenix I have a chance to crawl out of the ashes of "fix this garbage sofa", "sew my grain tarp", and actually do some real boat upholstery and I need your help.

My time appreciation was never good and I don't get any opportunities to do this since I moved here almost 4 years ago. The job is for a friend of mine (2 hrs away in Winnipeg) with a 19' glass I/O. Too high-- he finds a cheaper guy in our "I have a buddy who can get for me wholesale"l capital / Too low my diaper has a hissy fit. please give some feed back on the # of hours that it should take. I've been pretty generous with my guess because this will be "fill in work" so that I can drop our rates a bit--- so it will include  a bit of "stick in the corner/haul it back out"

My biggest concern are the seats. I haven't done one of those in like ≈8 years.

Thanks in advance.Darren
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Well, the first one is going to take more than twice as long as the 2nd because that's where you'll be getting the patterns from.  2nd seat is just academic - simple matter of cut and sew and staple.  I'd probably allow 3 days for both seats myself - but then I've never been very fast.  Depends on how much you manage to get right the first time.  There appears to be 4 parts.  The main seat with curved back is the most complex IMHO.  The "filler" pieces are simple and quick to sew and assemble.  The back piece will be touchy-feely especially around the headrest.  It would be easier without the opening.  Is the staple line covered with hidem?  I can't really tell from the pic how the headrest opening is closed.  Your area is different, I'm sure, but I wouldn't touch those 2 seats for less than a grand to $1200 depending on colors/quality of vinyl chosen.  Buying new is cheaper and I'll be the first to tell customers that.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Well, June C said enough and is certainly on target.  Needless to add though, I would want to verview the intended vinyl to ascertain that it is implementable for this covering.

I always say too much, but this isn't a "little now and little later project" for me as it workds best if I get the focus and stay glued to the task. 

Not to scare, it is doable, but precision, precision, and more precision is a must, running the vinyl stretch properties the most effecive way, and insuring the machine is up to the job in terms of all timing and tension adjustments. 

All said, it could be an interesting challenge, if the phone didn't distract from staying focused.

I would appreciate anyone chiming in with what replacements would cost?  Not these off shore replacements of lower quality, same quality.  I am thinking somewhere around $400 each, not to argue on that number but mass production has its advantages on material cost and labor efficiencies.

In summary, every step and procedure has to be "on top" and this could be a satisfying challenge.  The boxing, across the arms and circling the top has to be right in terms of patterning and sewing.

Too June C:  I maybe wrong but I think I do see hidem around the back side of the opening joining at the upper back. Intuitively so supported with logic.

Back to replacement cost, anyone .................?

Good luck,

Doyle

Darren Henry

Yes there is hydem around the opening. In his original e-mails the photos are EXTREME close up and it is quite visible.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I assume you not removing or installing the pieces Darren  I figure then 4 days of sewing and materieal. ,  2 bucket seats a rear bench with bench seat bottom and coaming side pads and a motor cover sunpad? it looked like a pile of stuff nut that the norm as I didn't see a doghouse motor cover.

I ask here about  $2500