Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 10:36:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

a great welt cord idea

Started by gene, January 02, 2014, 05:10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I use mostly 1/4" welt cord: mostly jute, then cotton, and tissue (paper) for my slip covers.

I was using 1/2" cotton cord for a cornice board and some pillow covers. I ran out half way through the last pillow cover.

My first thought was to go to Jo Ann Fabrics for 1 yard of 1/2" cotton welt cord.

My second thought worked out quite well. I cut 7 lengths of my 1/4" cotton welt cord. I put a piece of masking tape around one end of the 7 cords to hold them together.

I then put another piece of masking tape around the end of the 7 cords and attached them to the 1/2" cord still on my sewing machine.

I continued sewing my welt cord, pushing the 7 cords together as they went under my 1/2" cord foot. It came out great. It looks great and you can barely feel the difference.

This may not work as well on thin fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Ingenious!  Not many would have thought to do this.  That would work for about any fabric Gene, even on a corner of your pillow because I visualize the compaction of the extended cord would be tight enough to be smooth enough.  What about just using the technique for the complete seam or cushion?

What other alternatives are there to masking tape, something a little more soft?

Doyle

bobbin