Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 01:26:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

doese this happen to your memory?

Started by Mike, December 23, 2013, 07:12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

nov 22 I signed a job for canvas seat covers on a deckboat ,
fastforward hes next after christmass.  todau im driving bsack from going to get msterials for tomorrow because ups is not delivering tomorrow,  I get a call this guys says hes so in so and was sondering whe I was coing to d the cockpit cover on his boat?so my brain starts thinking if any cockpit cover on a boat I have to do, I don't memorize all the names I remember the job, a set of seat covers on a deckboat in pirate harbor, a enclosure on a WA in endglewood beach ...I was drawing a blank until the guy said you came to my house in pirate habor, ohh ok I remember feeling stupid that while driving I cant remeber everthing

MinUph

That sort of thing and many more these days Mike. I have to write it down or it is lost. Keeping a book handy helps if you don't use an app for your phone.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I have no problem remembering jobs. It's people's names and faces that I can't remember.

A customer can walk out of my shop....... turn around immediately, and walk back in........I'll say "Can I help you?" as if I've never seen them before.

I can recognize a couch that I did 20 years ago, but I don't recognize a customer that I met 20 minutes ago. My wife can recognize someone that she only met once 10 years ago. She can even recognize their children that she's NEVER met before just based on a family resemblance (I really hate that about her ;)).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

December 24, 2013, 06:21:28 am #3 Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:22:31 am by byhammerandhand
Back when I took the classes in Franklin Planners, DayTimers, etc.  they always said if you write it down, you don't have to remember it.

People's names, addresses, looks of the house, looks of the people, furniture, what I did on the furniture.   The problem is to remember it all together.   Of course the really nice ones and the really nasty ones are most memorable.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

December 24, 2013, 08:22:07 am #4 Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:25:08 am by gene
I called a friend the other day who I hadn't talked to for quite awhile. He said, "Hey, I was just thinking about you!"

I said, "Yes, I know. What did you want?" He was quiet for a moment and then said, "I hope you're joking."

LOL

What was the topic? Of yes, memory.

In my previous life as a sales person, sales manager, I was able to handle a very high volume of information because I used a software program that kept everything for me. ACT! I don't have nearly the amount of stuff to remember today but I am still in the habit of not remembering things because I know it's written down.

My son got married two weeks ago. I gave a toast at the wedding rehearsal dinner. I had a note card that I was holding as I gave the toast. The only thing I had written on the note card was his fiancees name. LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

December 24, 2013, 09:14:11 am #5 Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:03:53 pm by Mike
Hammer i do write it down but its alway when im driving or hanging on the side of a boat that i get this. this guy didnt help saying i was doing a different job for him  it like if a guy called you saying im the guy with the table. When its realy a chair.

scottymc

We run a dog friendly guest house, we always remember the dog but not the people.

bobbin

Mojo

Back in 1999 I had my first stroke. It hit my short term memory center and I had a helluva time. This is what led me to retirement.

I used to lock the wife out of the house everyday when she went to work which would require her to climb in through a window when she got home. Our German Shepherd used to look at her like she was nuts. ( why not use the front door Mom ). I once left the gas burner on the stove burning with a stack of mail sitting next to it. She kindly asked me to not cook while she was gone. She had to institute some rules for me to follow to keep me from burning the house down or getting hurt.

The clincher was when we were watching TV and I heard the ice cream truck coming down the street. I jumped up and ran out the door before she could say anything. I ran into the street and put up my hand and stopped the ice cream truck. When I looked back at the front porch, there she stood pointing at her waist. I looked down and realized I was in my underwear. The driver was staring at me like I was a crazy man. My wife brought me my wallet ( I forgot it ) and I completed the transaction and walked back in the house ( while the neighbors watched with amazement ).

I suffered 3 more strokes within 5 years of that one and each one seemed to grab a few more memory cells. Suffice it to say I write everything down now. My memory has actually gotten better but that isn't saying much. The weakness on my left side never returned. Thankfully I am married to one very compassionate and understanding wife. She has been through hell and back with me. :)

Chris 

Mike

Thanks you gave a good laught chris      Underware lol.

forsailbyowner

Must be a universal thing. I am considering buying the tried and true chalkboard where i write down my agenda for coming projects. All construction project managers have one in my experience.update every morning.

MinUph

Ya know when I had my remodeling business a few years ago in my work trailer I put an erasable board on the side door inside and hung the marker on it by a string. I wrote down things I needed to restock on as I found them getting low. Worked great. A chalk board is the same thing. Great tool for the over 50 60 crowd. Hell I could have used it in my 40s LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

I'm a second generation note writer .For as long as  I can remember Dad had notes and list for everything, usually written on cut up cigarette packs. (Our 25 packs give you 3 recipe cards). I've carried a notepad in my shirt pocket for decades.

I know a guy here who got struck in the head by a braking cable and lost most of his short term memory. He lives by his notepad. He had his name phone # etc... on the cover and had to record everything in case he forgot something. He'd come in, stroke "drop off brown shoes for new heals", and then enter "pick up brown shoes from Euroqual" on Friday's list.

I have a clipboard for each of our major client to keep track of any pending orders and a dry erase board to plan deadlines and appointments when things get really busy.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

There's an old story about the absent-minded professor.   I remember it was a math professor, but since I was a math major, it may have just been put that way.  Or it may be a true story.

The professor was the typical absent-minded professor, his mind always occupied with his theoretical work.  At one point, his family moved to a new house in their college town.   As he was headed off the to the office, his wife said, "Remember, dear, we have moved to a new house."
"Yes, of course," was his reply as he headed off to the lab.
That afternoon, after work, he headed toward his old house, walked down the street, then remembered that they'd moved after seeing a moving van moving in the new owners.   
Puzzled, he tried to remember his new address without success.
Seeing a little girl sitting on the front steps, he asked, "Little girl, do you know where I live?"
"Yes, Daddy, I'll take you there.   Mom said to wait here for you."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison