Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 08:43:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patio cushion and umbrella Fabrics

Started by baileyuph, November 10, 2013, 05:45:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

November 10, 2013, 05:45:10 pm Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:32:27 am by DB
As us business people know and have discussed, seems a lot of our customers are big into COM - materials.  

A customer dropped of considerable work and the COM materials.  Notes were made of what was desired by me, customer left.   Later the COM materials were reviewed, looks like something from JoAnn's, could be acrylic - has a similar feel.  During the review it was noted that the material had a backing (coating of something) which was tested - doesn't breathe.

Now, that won't work well for patio cushions because these ar decorator pillows and breathing just isn't in the equation.

How to handle this, the materials have been cut, assume not refundable.  One option is to just do my job and make the cushions - plus the umbrella.  That option probably isn't an option, this is a good customer.  She just bought the material based on color and the clerk said others are putting this on their patio.

What is the best option?  Advise and fabricate?

Has this issue come up ( the non breathing part)?

How to break the news or to break the news is the question (very good repeat customer)?  There can be issues associated with COM - huh.

Doyle

gene

November 10, 2013, 06:07:20 pm #1 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:09:39 pm by gene
If you are making boxed cushion covers, can you put ventilators in the back? Also make the zipper as long as you can to allow for more air to get out through the zipper.

Use a #5 zipper instead of a #4? It's my impression, although I am open to being corrected, that more air will go through the #5 than the #4.

Also, aluminum zippers hold better than nylon, so aluminum will be less likely to blow out if a big fat butt plops down on your handiwork.

I would do what I can to help air escape as much as possible, and tell the customer the nature of the fabric and what I did to deal with the issue as best I could. I would also invite the customer to check with me regarding fabrics for future jobs.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

I don't think a #5 will breath any better than a #4 zipper. I used brass and aluminum for 30 some odd years and since using #5 nylon zippers I haven't broken one yet. They seem much stronger than brass or aluminum.
  As for the COM issue. It is just that COM. The customer brought the labor to you. I would do the best job I could and be done with it. If you feel the breathability is an issue do what you can to make it work but I wouldn't worry about telling here she bought the wrong type of fabric. It really isn't your call in my opinion. Sometimes just wrinkling up the fabric will break down the sizing and allow it to breath better. Try it on the zippers. If you still concerned just use a compatible fabric for the zippers after explaining to the customer that the fabric doesn't breath well and you would recommend doing this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I did put ventilators in knife edge pillow covers years ago. A bright red rubber type material that looked like you could make kick balls out of it.

They were decorative for outdoor furniture. 24" x 24". She liked the idea of the ventilators because you wouldn't see them since they were on the back and in case someone did sit on one it would have a less chance of blowing out the zipper.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

Advise the customer immediately.  Is there any way you could use textilene for one half of the zipper boxing (ventilation, and the benefit of the little round vents with no corrosion)?  The size of the zipper used has nothing to do with it's ability to allow more air flow.  I never use anything but plastic zipper chain and plastic sliders because I live in a marine environment.  Aluminum corrodes and becomes useless in about 2 yrs. in my neighborhood. 

I do a lot of COM work and everyone who supplies their own fabric knows that I assume NO responsibility for the relative fitness of the goods for the project.  I don't care where you buy the goods, but if you don't buy from me I assume NO liability/responsibility.  You're on your own, baby. 

baileyuph

Update, the chair cushions are made and gone, customer really like them.  They were done in a fabricate that air will flow through (COM BTW).

Then, the next request was a number of patio decorator cushions.  No zippers, knife edge, done out of COM, which does not breathe.  Like said, I didn't like the material, doesn't breathe.  Started to go into a defensive mode and explain, instead made the cushions and customer is excited about that.  They are attractive, the way they were done, so since it was COM, it turned out to be acceptable.

Lastly, the umbrella idea came up, I wasn't asked even if I could do it so had no input into it.  I can make make the umbrella and don't know what will happen for the overlock requirement yet.  I guess I could just get another shop to run the material and do the overlocking.  Other factors have come up, the gift of an overlocker that I could be getting is one. 

I posted a few questions about overlocking thread for a umbrella in an effort to gather all my data before proceeding.

Lately, the shop mainstream work has me "slamed"!  LOL  These two post puts the umbrella issue together. 

Doyle