Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 03:21:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting fabric to fit the deck

Started by DDandJ, October 10, 2013, 09:15:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

So I'm working on a wing back chair.  I recently finished a wing back chaise.  I think I have another wing back chair coming up soon.  Who knew all the wing back furniture in SW Oklahoma would come to me?

One of the scariest parts of learning upholstery for me was making the cuts to go around the posts, such as the arms, wings, etc.  I got over my fear and have gotten pretty good at them, meaning I learned not to cut too far.

One cut that is still difficult for me is the cuts for the deck at the rear posts.  I seem to have difficulty deciding whether I should do a diagonal cut, a Y-cut, or a straight cut.  The cuts for the arm posts are easy.  I use a Y-cut on them.  But the rear posts on this current wing back chair are not square posts.  I managed to get it to work out but I haven't been happy with my cuts on either of my recent projects.  Luckily for me, a cushion covers it up.

I'll add that the deck is probably the hardest part of the chair for me.  I used to think it was the easiest part.

Jeremy

MinUph

All cuts around rails are basicly y cuts as you put it. The problem is what way to cut the first cut. Not easy to explain in words but some you will have to cut almost parallel with the back and then cut the Y towards the center. See it ain't easy to explain. You can draw these lines on the back of the fabric in chalk and then work the fabric back to see if the cut is good. Cuttin these on a wind chair shouldn't be that hard. Its when there is no other upholstery around to hide the cuts. When you make a bad cut and can't adjust it. Try stuffing some cotton under the arm bottom rail or the back bottom rail which will blow out the area and help hide the cut. You shouldn't rely on "the cushion covering it" Thats pretty shody. Put a new piece in or lower it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

DDandJ

I stuffed cotton around the arm post and it did what you said.  It filled everything out.  I'll do the same at the back rails.  Marking the cuts on the deck with chalk is a good idea.  I'll try that on the next chair that comes my way.