Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 04:23:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Update on The Highlead Twin Needle Machine

Started by Mojo, August 18, 2013, 05:02:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Just wanted to give a final update on the Highlead twin needle machine I bought a few weeks ago.

It has been everything my wife said it would be. (  She is always right....just ask her ). It has been a time saver and a way to provide an even more professional look to our awning products. It is a solid performer and well worth the investment.

This has been a busy month for us with orders stacking up on me daily. I ship four orders and two more come in the back door. I crank them out and 4 more come in. This has been the busiest summer I have ever had since I started this business. The good news is that I am cranking them out much faster and am now able to keep up. My backlog has been reduced to two weeks instead of 3 or 4  weeks. ( This also helps me sleep at night. :)

I knew there was some time savings that would come with this machine but didn't realize just how much. With the orders going out much faster now it is obvious it is because I am only making single passes when putting down stitch runs.

I am really pleased with the efficiency I gained and love looking at those perfectly spaced twin stitch runs. That in itself has helped calm my OCD overload. On the machine side I am happy with the Highlead. It has been a solid performer since I first fired it up. No hic-cup's or issues. I have had to adjust a little on how I sew and keeping track of two bobbins instead of one took some getting used to. I am extremely happy with the machine and feel the quality is great.

I will say that this machine should only be considered for applications such as mine. Unless your constantly making double row stitch runs then the investment isn't worth it. Since almost 95 % of our products require double stitching then it was a no brainer. For those who occasionally run double stitching then I do not think the investment warrants a double needle machine.

I have not gotten out the calculator and broken down the times savings but know that I can now knock out 12 slide toppers a day instead of the 7 or 8 I did before. The machine will have paid for itself in a few months based on time savings alone.

Just wanted to update ya'll since I was asked the other day how the new machine was working out. :)

Chris

gene

Thank you for the update.

I have no need for a double needle machine, although I almost bought one a few years ago because it was selling for a great price. I probably would have never used both needles except to play around wtih it.

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with your new machine. Even though this thread doesn't relate to me, this is the kind of info that makes this forum very valuable to anyone in this business.

Thanks again,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

Mojo its great to hear the choice is working for you all, what was that guage you decided on.  And now what are ya gonna do with all that extra time.
Thanks for the update

Mojo

Gene:

June bought a twin needle for that same reason, it was sold at a real cheap price. She removed one of the needles like you said. She bought a new Highlead single needle but still has the twin. I believe she doesn't use it anymore.

BRMAX, I went with a 1/2" ga. That is how I was sewing the stitch runs prior to getting the machine.
It has worked out good. I nearly went with the 3/8th's but glad I didn't.

Bobby set the machine up and before he put it on the bench I sent him some Solarfix thread ( which is all I use in this machine ). I haven't had to make any adjustments at all as it sews perfectly but re-setting the tension might get a bit tricky. Then again I just look at each side seperately and would adjust accordingly.

Timing two hooks I am sure would be a real headache. Hope I never have to go through that. Overall I am pleased. Bobby had it sewing perfectly before it arrived and am so glad I sent the Solarfix to him. It can be a little tricky at times getting the tension set correctly.

The machine is a real monster. Large and heavy ( 100 lbs + ) but sews like a dream. I forgot to mention I went with a 400 watt servo but the manufacturer called for twice that 800 watt. After discussing it with Bob he felt the 400 would be perfect for my application and the 800 would be called for if sewing real heavy material like multiple layers of leather. I am sewing double layers of canvas and have no problems with that.

Bobby just went through my Chandler and tuned it up. That thing sews better then when I bought it new. No idea what he did but he said with a smile " I had to make a few adjustments ". I think he didn't want to hurt my pride or feelings as I made some adjustments myself a year ago after I replaced the needle bar. I love this Chandler. What an awesome machine. :)

Chris

brmax

Chris thanks, I read that the ptfe solarfix stuff is pretty darn tough and the newest and greatest.  I have as many are curious on guages for some types of jobs, or parts of them. Its nice to no a place where everyone can pick up some tips, thanks to everyone on that. Anyhow I have ordered some small parts and pieces from a few places getting an understanding of there position, and did talk to both Bob and Bobby with good help so a thumbs up to them.
Good Day