Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 03:18:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Horse hair

Started by DDandJ, August 02, 2013, 10:01:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

I'm starting to tear down an old wing back chaise.  I'm not too far along into it but as old as it is I think there's a chance that there could be some horse hair under the cotton.  I'll know more as I tear down more this weekend.

By feel, the springs appear to be good.  I want to lift up the cotton and check the spings and make sure the burlap is good.  I figure I'll have to replace the burlap.  If I have to take off the cotton and if there is horse hair in it, do I just handle it gently and put it back in once I've replaced the burlap?  Do I replace it with something else?  I'm forever watching upholstery videos on Youtube and I recently ran across one in which a lady from the UK was explaining her upholstery techniques.  She said old horse hair could be sewn up into a pillow case and washed with detergent and fabric sofener.  Has anyone ever done this?  Good idea or no?

Another question:  at what point, if any, do you replace the cotton?  As best I can tell there is no foam or dacron on this piece, other than the cushion.  The old cushion is shot and not salvageable so I'll need new foam for it.

Thanks in advance .  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

MinUph

You may well run into hair or some mixture in the piece. It will be sewn into the burlap covering the springs. If you remove it do so carefully and keep it with the burlap cutting the stitching under the burlap. It's easier to handle this way. If it is in good shape reapply it again with the old burlap still attached. You can cut away around the perimeter to get rid of the old burlap not stitched. Then put in place on top of new burlap and stitch it into the new burlap. Doesn't have to be a lot of stitches. On a small chair seat probably 10 or 12 stitches will do.
  I've never "cleaned" hair. Wouldn't do it. If its bad throw it away. As for cotton this is still good if it doesn't smell or show any signs of deterioration.
  From what you have explained so far the hair and cotton probably is good. Best pad ever made IMO. 
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Joys Shop

August 02, 2013, 06:32:23 pm #2 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:48:11 am by Joys Shop
I have washed hair and spanish moss plenty of times
Put it in a pillow case, sew it closed and wash it
Don't need to add fabric softener, just soap
give it an extra rinse

But

I do have a front load washer

I should add that you can't put it in the dryer.  I put a sheet on the floor of my shop, and spread it out to dry
I washed two pillow cases full of spanish moss today

Mojo

I am curious. What do you use the spanish moss for ? Never heard of this in upholstery work but then I do not do furniture. :)

Chris

gene

August 04, 2013, 05:57:35 am #4 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:59:58 am by gene
Spanish moss is used the same way horse hair is used - to stuff cushion covers and furniture.

I don't think Spanish moss needs to be heat treated like horse hair to make it curly???

I did a settee last month that had the seat cushion cover stuffed with straw. The straw on the outside was powder, but the straw in the middle looked brand new.

I looked at two wing back chairs two days ago and the owner got them from his mother who had passed away and he said he thought they were mid 1950's. Both cushion inserts were straw. I think this dates the chairs to at least as old as WW2 because all the cotton and other such materials were going to the war effort.

Any other thoughts on dating horse hair, Spanish moss, and straw?

Thank you,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Thanks Gene. Living in Florida puts me right at the fingertips of huge amounts of Spanish moss. As a matter of fact I have two trees with the stuff hanging off it. :)

I had never heard of it being used in upholstery before till now. Amazing the things we learn. :)

Chris

Joys Shop

The way Spanish moss is processed to use as stuffing
It is gathered from trees or picked from the ground
There is a green coating around the fiber, which must be removed before the fiber can be used for stuffing (the process is called "curing" or "rotting")
The moss is put in piles about 5 ft high, and is wetted
In about 10 days, the piles begin to get hot and the outer covering begins to rot.
In about 6 weeks much of the bark disappears, Leaving the inner hairlike strand, which becomes darker as the process continues
In about 12 weeks only the black fiber remains.
When cured, the fiber must be thoroughly dried.  On rocks, fences, sheds, and clotheslines
The dry moss must be ginned
The beginning is a picking and combing process which opens up the fibers and removes sticks, dirt, burrs, etc
The ginning must  be repeated 4 times in most cases
The better moss is cured longer (therefore blacker), and double ginned

Mike

chris I saw a interesting program on the 1901 fire in Jacksonville on florida crossroads; it started with Spanish moss

http://staugustine.com/stories/050401/sta_0504010024.shtml