Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 03:23:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Meet & Greet With Bob Kovar

Started by Mojo, August 04, 2013, 04:56:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

We finally made it back home from our vacation. We had to cancel the last part of our trip due to my getting a sinus/respiratory infection. But we had 10 glorious days with the grandkids.

On our trip most know I had arranged to drop off my Chandler and Juki at Bob Kovars shop for a tune up and a good going through while we were with the kids in Michigan. Bobby, Bob's son did all the service on both machines and got them all adjusted and back to factory specs. He found the hook was worn on the Juki along with another part and replaced both of them. Very common for a machine used in a production setting. The Chandler required  no parts but had to have several adjustments made ( due to me hitting a metal stay in some fabric ). Both now will sew like new. :)

This is the first time I got the chance to meet Bob and Bobby in person. We have gotten to be good friends over the years, talk all the time on the phone but due to distance was never able to get together. It was great to meet them in person and get a tour of their shop.

Speaking of their shop, I have never seen so many machines before in my life. Up front in his store front he has all of " his " machines which are extremely old and rare antique machines. We are not talking about Singer cabinet machines but some of the rarest and most awesome old industrial machines I have ever seen. Some were old post bed machines, some were tiny hand operated machines and many were industrial machines. Bob is a big collector and has an excellent stable of rare finds. All I could think of was how Bobbin, Dennis and Doyle would have loved to have seen them all.

Also up front were shelves upon shelves of thread. I had forgot Bob is a big supplier of thread. Mostly nylon but also some rare colors in Polyester. We went into his showroom and it was packed full of new and used machines of every brand you can think of. Bob is a big supplier to the folks who specialize in leather ( saddle makers, harness makers, etc. ) as well as canvas shops and the Amish. He has quite a big collection of post bed heavy duty industrial machines. The vast majority of Bob's inventory is commercial/industrial machines. He does not sell home machines.

He took me into the back storage room and there sat well over 100 more machines on shelves. Some new and many used. He said he had just as many more at his house stored in his barn. Bob sometimes buys 50 at a time at auctions, refurbishes them, makes them like new and sells them. Juki's galore. After seeing the antique machines as well as all the later industrial machines I can see how Bob and Bobby became such amazing machines techs. They have worked on just about every kind of machine known to stitchers.

It was nice to finally meet both Bob and Bobby. I might add his son is one awesome young man and really knows his stuff. It was great to see a young man take an interest in this trade and excel like he has. Bobby is one amazing machine technician.

As for me, the orders started piling up on me so Monday starts the mad rush to get orders done and shipped out. Still it was nice taking the bus out on a long cruise ( it was NOT fun paying the bills at all the truck stops ).

Here is a picture of Bob & I. I am the one with the bald chemo head. :)
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/throgmartin/media/BobKovarampChris_zps59b7381f.jpg.html

Like a dummy I forgot to get pictures of some of Bob's antique machines. I was so blown away by all of them I forgot. :)

Chris

Mike

August 04, 2013, 05:17:05 am #1 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:17:48 am by Mike
Glad you nade it with no hiccups.
I met mike finally monday afternoon. I got a call" hey im in PC i can be there in 5. "
I was out cleaning my van at the time.

gene

August 04, 2013, 06:20:11 am #2 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:26:40 am by gene
I'm fortunate to have a "Bob Kovar" type person here in SW Ohio. Dave, at Industrial Sew and Tech, has spent his career working on industrial sewing machines and his knowledge about them is amazing.

He got my Juki LU 562, which has a smaller bobbin than the LU 563, fine tuned after I had bought it.

It's also good to hear about a second generation learning their parents' business. That doesn't happen very often.

10 days of fun with the grandkids sounds awesome, Chris. Life is easier when we "Sharpen the saw", if anyone is familiar with Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Successful People. Even when the saw is getting old and rusty. LOL (I'm speaking for myself here.)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I could be wrong but I believe Bob worked for his Dad and if so then Toledo Sewing Machine Co is a 3rd generation business.

I have to agree with you gene. An old saw blade needs sharpening now and then and I admit to being one of the very worst at it. I have been a workaholic most of my life and got my first job at the age of ten. I never seem to be able to just relax sometimes. Like my wife constantly tells me " you need some downtime. Skip work today and go do something fun like heading to the gun range or meeting up with your buddies at a car show".

I may learn this when I get to dang old to work. :)

Chris

byhammerandhand

You mean you traveled I-75 from Florida to Toledo and didn't stop in to see me and Gene?    Gene's shop studio is just a couple hundred yards off I-75.

I'll be traveling from here north on I-75 through Mackinaw in a week to see some of my grandkids.   I don't think anyone ever said on their deathbed, "I'd wish I'd spent more time at work and less with my family."  Well, maybe someone with a dysfunctional family.

Quote from: Mojo on August 04, 2013, 04:56:55 am
We finally made it back home from our vacation. We had to cancel the last part of our trip due to my getting a sinus/respiratory infection. But we had 10 glorious days with the grandkids.

Chris

Open invitation to anyone in the area to give me a shout-out,.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

I had no idea you guys were that close to I-75 or I would have stopped. We spent the night going up in Dayton ( troy ) and another night in the same place coming back home.

I thought you guys lived in the heartbeat of America........The oasis........ Cleveland. :)

Chris