Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 04:19:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

marine canvas window screen replacement

Started by Judy_Boat, July 15, 2013, 06:40:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Problem - the bug screen is disintegrating but the rest of the canvas is in good shape. How to replace the screen?

This is how i think the canvas was done originally.
Step 1 - a large piece of clear vinyl with zippers was fitted to the boat.
step 2 - after that a unit comprised of a clear vinyl, bug screen and u zipper was made and bound on the outside edge.
step 3 - this unit was then placed on the clear vinyl from step 1 and sewn down.

Now I need to replace the bug screen.

My Idea is to bind an appropriate size of screen and stitch it down on the outside of the canvas. Then go back and cut out the old screen.

A very thin vinyl strip was used on this canvas for edge binding, about 1" width Does anyone know what trade name it goes by? It is not "vinyl bias binding" you find in some catalogues.
If I cannot find this I will probably use sunbrella centerfold binding which  is used on other parts on the canvas.
thanks

Mike

I find cutting a screen to shape then binding it very difficult to have it keeps its proper shape.  what I di a lot id I sew it on first piulling it tight as I go then trim it to shape and with bias sunbrella binding I sew a strip flat arounf he edge covering the screen edge