Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:49:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bobbin thread, what bobbin thread!

Started by crammage, July 03, 2013, 03:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

crammage

Ok, funny thing happened last night while I was sewing 10 yards of double welting.  I cut the strips, sew them together and then start sewing the double welting, which I don't enjoy by the way, but has to be done.  So I check periodically as it's coming from under the needle and everything looks good.  Finally get to the end and start checking the work and noticed that on the end there wasn't any bobbin thread.  I thought I must have run out of thread in the bobbin and didn't notice.  So I started looking at the underside of the welting to see where it stopped, just kept looking until I got the beginning.  I sewed the whole lot without the bobbin thread working. 

don't ask me how that worked, my first thought was the slip clutch was popped but it was fine.  Rather than having this great relief of being finished I had to start over.  fortunately it went a little faster the second time around since the fabric was preformed, shall we say, to the double welting cord.

Everything worked fine the second time, by the way.  Not sure why the bobbin thread decided to stay in the bobbin the first go around, just wasn't in the mood I guess, it worked fine just a few seconds before that.    :D

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

fragged8

it happens :-)

I can usually hear the bobbin noise change when something is wrong like it isnt turning
or it's about to run out, you'll get tuned into it after a while but it can still happen :-)

MinUph

Yea I remember with our pfaff I could tell when the bobbin was about to run out across the room when my dad was sewing. I'd tell him and he couldn't believe it LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I can remember Darren telling us in a post years ago about this sound that the bobbin made when it was about to run out. Then June mentioned the same thing. I thought they were both nuts but started listening carefully and by God they were right.

It does make a distinct " jingle " when it is nearly empty. :)

Chris

baileyuph

July 14, 2013, 05:41:22 am #5 Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:54:13 am by DB
Crammage,

I understand you cut the strips and sewed them together, that concludes seaming worked.

But, the first pass through, the hook did not pick up the bobbin thread and cause a stitch to happen.  Then, the bobbin was removed to check for thread, it had thread.  Replaced the bobbin and seaming happened.

If that is generally what took place, then it is highly suggested that the bobbin thread lead was too short for the hook to pick up the thread, the first pass at sewing the double cord.  When bobbin was reloaded after inspection the leading edge of the bobbin thread was long enough for the hook to do its thing and seam happened!

I am like you, do not enjoy sewing double welt.  It requires a lot of attention on folding the fabric as it leads into the welt feet.

I have two types of welt feet, one type is the two feet with the block at the bottom.  The other has a look closer to a conventional pair of welt feet, except the needle foot is smaller and machined into a V-shape.  

Both type work , I experience a slight advantage and disadvantage with either type used.  So, can't say I am swayed by either style over the other.  

A very precise folder to pass the fabric through is probably the answer, as I could never see a mass production effort (i.e. factory) struggling as I and you explain you do.  Further initiative to simulate the factory approach (get an engineered folder) does not happen as my volume of that type of cording is sporadic.  To get a precise folder, in the past, machinest convinced me that to do it right, one would do best with the foot and folder if they were honed for a specific fabric, weight and dimension (width).  That might lead to having more than one or two pair of feet and same for the folder.  

Instead, it seems most of our types buy the cheapest general feet and folder (probably on the internet) and results are not nearly as perfect nor efficient as factory equipment, going the custom route.

Sorry , for the deviation, glad you did accomplish the double welt you set out to do.  

I am assuming you did not use a folder in the process.  I have a generic, general purpose folder, but like I said, it doesn't help as my fabric and width vary.  Instead, I fold and feed manually.  

BTW, Tennessee Attachments, in the past, was in the business of machining and engineering folders and binders for these special requirements, including right angle binders.  Don't know if they are still in business today.  They weren't cheap to use but going their route, the equipment was engineered specific for the type of machine used.
Yes, that is correct, everything was precise, no general purpose equipment suggested if one wanted a set up that worked.  Like I said, not cheap but you could count on it working.

Doyle