Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:23:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How much did an upholsterer make in 1963?

Started by sofadoc, June 20, 2013, 06:48:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I was going through some family stuff, when I came up on an old copy of the Dallas Times Herald that was printed the day that JFK was shot.

I started looking at the ads, and saw this one:

If you could buy a whole new couch for $118, how much could an upholsterer possibly charge to recover one like that? Even if the material was only $3yd, you're looking at around 50 bucks just for material alone.

Convincing customers that recovering is better than buying new is a tough sell here in 2013. I always thought that re-upholstery was a better value back then. I guess not.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I had a bucket seat recovered in my cutlass. It was worn and tore to heck. Total price was $ 40 and this was an upholsterer that was very well known for high quality and did most of the dealer work in town.

My very first upholstery job was in 1978. I recovered 4 poker chairs for a guy. I think I charged him
$ 8.00 each. That included material. :)

Chris