Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:20:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

new windows on old canvas

Started by Judy_Boat, June 03, 2013, 06:28:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Since canvas is older, but still OK , customer would like new windows only.

Down the road 2 to 3 years , they will need new canvas done. Is it a long term mistake to do just the windows now? ie will it make fitting new canvas difficult later?

Mike

Ive replaced wondow. Inyl on old window and  or aly when someone want. Es canvas they get it sll probably in a new   color.
When ive done o. Inyl replacement it wasnt  ig buck and not a concern later as in we nust spennt 2 k. Last season. Loke. Ew strataas in a 20 old window is. Crazy.
And i hate trying to make a new top to fit old existing windows. And it is more money to try to do this i advise.

Mike

I meen to make a nee top for example $500. To make it fit old windows $ 700

Grebo

June 03, 2013, 11:23:27 am #3 Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:27:18 am by Grebo
I think if they just want to replace the windows now & have a complete new cover down the line with windows. No worries, I do it all the time. You aren't doing anything to the frame work.
Do make sure that you sew in the new before taking out the old though then the cover will fit the same. Old windows do tend to shrink a bit so have a good look before taking the cover off. So no one can turn round & say, well it fit before & now it doesn't.
Plus I always tell them that I can not guarantee it will be water tight, old stitch holes etc. It usually is as I use tape to hold the new ones in place..

As Mike said, tell them now they can't put their 2 / 3 year old windows in a new cover.

Suzi