Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 11:23:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Canvas Training

Started by raindodger, May 08, 2013, 12:32:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

raindodger

I would like to know if any canvas people on here have ever taken any classes from any of the canvas training places (northcoast, MCTI, Hood canvas), if so which classes and what was your opinion on them?

I'm thinking about taking some classes to brush up on my skills.  I'm so slow at canvas work, I'm hoping I can learn a few tricks to speed things up and improve my overall quality.  Just curious if others who have taken these types of classes thought they were worth it. 

Thanks

Eric

I've been to northcoast. Camper and upholstery class. Informative, well taught. This was 5 years ago though.
Eric

Mike

I bought all the tapes from the palmetto fl school to learn dot patterning.  When i moved to fl bUt everything else was how i self tought myself over the years

Tejas

RainDodger,

My reasons and experience might not be helpful. I'm just a DIY sewer with a bizarre hobby who convinced his wife to attend three weeks of MCTI sewing classes in lieu of a vacation. She was a fairly experienced home sewer. I had never sewed before acquiring a Singer 111W155 and had sewed a only a few small projects before the classes.

Both of us were quite pleased with the classes. However, we made a huge mistake. MCTI seems to describe studying the videos before attending classes as optional. We should have known better based on marine diesel and marine electronics classes we had attended that provided almost no class materials. Anyway, welcome to the era in which apparently more intellectual property is copied than bought. There were essentially no class materials. We ended up buying and always being behind viewing the videos in the evenings and on weekends.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

timtheboatguy

I have the videos from both schools and there are things that I like and dislike about both. Also, I went to the Northcoast school for their sewing machine repair class and it was very good.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

raindodger

Thanks for the input guys.  I went ahead and signed up for a couple of the courses at Northcoast.  Should be an interesting adventure...

scarab29

Did the mcti training. Had the vids from northcoast. Watched them way before going to a course. They were a gift from the wife so I had no choice in the purchase. My Mom has a house in sarasota near mcti. Saved a bunch on housing. The instruction was awesome. It does help to have some experience prior As I had the same machine as the school and a couple years under my belt it was a easy learning curve for me.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.