Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:17:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

empty thread tubes....

Started by Mike, January 31, 2013, 04:08:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

February 05, 2013, 06:26:11 am #15 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:28:44 am by Grebo
I must confess to buying this one.  :-[

Pens are there for patterning & replaced with pencils once back in the shop.
Like wise, scissors get swapped for decent one's when needed.
Only thing missing is somewhere to hang the tape measure so that just gets clipped on my belt.
It's narrow & just slides on any old belt your wearing, usually sits just front side of hip so doesn't get in the way when you sit down ( normally).

Suzi

timtheboatguy

You folks are awesome! I am going to make a an apron and if it doesn't make me smile, I'll toss it and make a different one. Tons of scraps just waiting for me. :D
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Darren Henry

February 05, 2013, 04:23:12 pm #17 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:20:25 pm by Darren Henry
We obviously had a similar thread a couple of years ago. I tripped over this better picture of my belt rooting through photobucket for another pic.

Being the son of an electrician; Grebo's rig would drive me nuts ( sorry Suzi). I'm used to tools having separate pockets and just reaching down for what I need with out looking or fumbling about.

I like that it's on it's own belt so I can use in wearing shorts, slid under the hem of my parka,whatever; and the quick release buckle makes it easy to throw on and off.

That yellow bit on the belt is stapler holder ($12 @ Home Hardware). That one broke, (slammed in car door at - 30 ºC, or damned cold F.)and I miss it bad  :'(

As you can see I've moved the buckle over to my left hip instead of in the middle of my back like a carpenter's apron. I have no idea how women can get into a bra  :o.I've seen it done; and both times my shoulders and elbows hurt just thinking about it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

Hi: 'Member me. LOL. Tripped over another pic that fits in with this "sub- thread" [not to be confused with jacking]. Another step saver I use is I've installed a lash hook to my snap tool so that I can "holster"it.

I wear my keys on a halter snap attached to my belt loop so usually hook it on there. It also works on the strap of that nail apron I carry my snaps in, my pant's pocket, my belt, etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

timtheboatguy

February 08, 2013, 09:00:35 am #19 Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:01:14 am by timtheboatguy
Thanks Mike!

I added a thread tube to each side of my machine at home and will do the same at my shop.

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Nice tim i like tye matching green! Ive never seen a green tube mine are always black

baileyuph

Some good ideas here, using the plastic cones makes a lot of sense.

I particularly like Darren's quick disconnect/connect belt.  I could use a pattern of his apron or one similar.  I might want a pouch somewhere on it, or at least something to temporarily hold the air stapler.

What do you suggest it be made of Darren, a heavy canvas?

Doyle

Darren Henry

This apron is made of two layers of sunbrella with the  edge bound sewn onto 1 1/2" poly webbing with a side release delron buckle.The size will be dictated by what all you want to carry and how you lay it out. All I did was lay my tools out on a scrap bit of sunbrella and said "okay---that big". Large items like my 8" scissors got pockets, the small stuff got a strap like a cartridge belt. That was my pattern.

What would I change? The pocket for my side cutters will be open at the bottom as it tends to collect staples. the thread tube I flatten out to line the scissor pocket will be long enough (even if i have to weld two of them together) to support the weight of the scissors at the top and still encase the tips. I might angle the scissors a little more toward the centre so that they fall between my legs better when I sit.

Quoteat least something to temporarily hold the air stapler.

That's what the yellow plastic bit on the belt is for. That particular one came from Home Hardware,but I'm sure most hardware stores have them.  While they are designed for a T-50 stapler they are cat's meow for pneumatics as well. You do have to be conscience that the trigger can be jammed against the hook that the stapler hangs off. Don't panic; you'll adjust in no time.

I hope that helps you out. If not, ask away.

baileyuph

Good info Darren, I like the idea of laying the essentials to determine just about everything regarding pattern.

This is something I have needed to get working on.

One question I might bring up is how to handle the wear points and which one to enclose or not to enclose.

Are there any changes on those two issues, that you would do differently?

Oh!...................Darren, do you think some of the pockets should have any stronger materials to avoid wear, or maybe another layer?  Some of my tools will be going into the pocket and right back out during the entire day.  I am giving that some thought and decided to run it by you.

Thanks,

Doyle

Mike

well this thread is turning into more handy ideas so here is a few more things I HAVE DONE

A ROLL HOLDER on the end of my tables.
a rod on the right of my machine to hold a binding spool I use small diameter rebar.
ant next to were I sit I have a canvas with multiple and different size pockets to hold everything from seam ripper  screwdrivers needles ect

scott_san_diego

Hey Mike,
I like your light on your sewing machine.  I would think you would be able to move the light to where you really need it.  The light that usually comes with the machines the light head is always getting loose with the nut that connects it.  I need to go find one of those lights. 

Thanks Scott

Mike

Darren Henry

QuoteDarren, do you think some of the pockets should have any stronger materials to avoid wear, or maybe another layer?

Sorry Doyle; I forgot to mention that those pockets are two layers of sunbrella.i have added a double layered patch of herculite were the tips of the staple puller and the end of my scissors wear.

Mike; Love that roll holder. I had 3 or 4 of them in my shop in Kenora.They work slick.