Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 01:20:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

No.

Started by gene, February 10, 2013, 09:54:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

No.
February 10, 2013, 09:54:06 am Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:58:28 am by gene
Saying "no" is an important part of any business. This forum has many anecdotes of folks not saying "no" and then regretting it later.

How are you at saying "no"?

This might be the best example EVER of someone saying "no".

From the book God's Battalions, by Rodney Stark:

In 1046 the Norman Knights, who had been hired by the Byzantine governor to help fight the Mormons, decided to cross the mountains into Italy on their own and kick out the Mormons. Why should they work for someone else and share the plunder when they can do the same job on their own and keep everything for themselves?

The Byzantine governor sent a messenger to the Normans who told them that they could leave Italy peacefully or they would be attached by the Byzantine army.

From the book: "Historians agree that the following actually happened in response. The enormous Norman knight holding the herald's (messenger) horse struck a huge blow with his mailed fist, smashing in the horse's head, and it fell dead on the spot. Provided with a new horse, the herald was sent back to the Byzantine camp, whereupon the battle ensued the next day."

I would assume that there was no need to ask that messenger "What part of "no" don't you understand?"

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Mormons?   I assume you mean Muslims?

General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe (July 2, 1898 - August 11, 1975) was the United States Army general who was the acting division commander of the 101st Airborne Division troops defending Bastogne, Belgium during World War II's Battle of the Bulge. He is famous for his single-word reply of "Nuts!" in response to a German surrender ultimatum. 
(courtesy of Wikipedia).

And we all know how that ended -- it was the last gasp of Nazi counteroffensive in WWII.

This is said the be the shortest response to such a request, one word.     It's said that the shortest sentence in the English language is, "I am." (two words, three letters.)   It's also said the longest sentence in the English language is, "I do."   But, I'd say the shortest sentence in English is, "No."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

February 10, 2013, 10:20:40 am #2 Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:21:51 am by gene
Hey!

If Joseph Smith can claim that American Indians are descendants of Jews, then why can't I claim that Mormons were invading Europe around 1000 b.c.?

LOL

Yes, I did mean Muslims, not Mormons.

gene

PS: The longest word in the English language is "smiles". There a 'mile' between each 's'.

sofadoc

So are you saying that when I don't want to do a job, I should strike the customers dead (assuming they didn't bring their horse in with them)?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

timtheboatguy

Quote from: sofadoc on February 10, 2013, 10:49:14 am
So are you saying that when I don't want to do a job, I should strike the customers dead (assuming they didn't bring their horse in with them)?

I think a simple back hand accross the face would be adequate  ;D
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

byhammerandhand

February 10, 2013, 12:47:43 pm #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:58:25 pm by byhammerandhand
Gene must be hitting the cabernet a bit early today :
1046 the Norman Knights is not 1000 BC  (aka BCE, to be politically correct).

When was the Magna Carta written?   Lunch time, 1215.

Quote from: gene on February 10, 2013, 10:20:40 am
Hey!

If Joseph Smith can claim that American Indians are descendants of Jews, then why can't I claim that Mormons were invading Europe around 1000 b.c.?

LOL

Yes, I did mean Muslims, not Mormons.

gene

PS: The longest word in the English language is "smiles". There a 'mile' between each 's'.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Keith,

It's revisionist history! And just like political correctness, facts are totally irrelevant.

2 + 2 = whatever will support your political position.

gene

PS: At least I got the longest word in the dictionary correct.

Mike

I say  no i dont do car tops
no i dont rellace zippers on jeeps
And no i dont make new canvas for a pop up camper
Did. ONE once  . 

JuneC

After a monster nest of carpenter ants was unleashed in my car and driveway, I'm saying an emphatic NO to canvas repairs.  I've enough pests of my own - I don't need to import them from other people's property.   >:(

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields