Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 03:46:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cross support in chair seat mystery

Started by Kevinsews, February 06, 2013, 01:31:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevinsews

February 06, 2013, 01:31:41 pm Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:38:27 pm by Kevinsews
I'm not sure what you call the supports pictured below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natchezkevs/8449541526/in/photostream

They ride through the layer of springs between the webbing and ties.  Each of the two bars has a small spring on the front and back.  The old seat was in such bad condition that I could not figure out how they are supposed to be incorporated.  What is their purpose, and what should I tie them to?  The seat has 9 regular coil springs that I have not put back yet. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Kevin

sofadoc

Those were normally used to reinforce a solid jute bottom (not individual webbing strips).
If you are going back with 4" jute or poly webbing strips, then those cross supports aren't really necessary.
But since you have them, it wouldn't hurt to put them back on. Just run the support wires on the underneath (outer) side of the webbing (between the webbing and the dust cover). They should be taut against the webbing. If they aren't, then they aren't really accomplishing anything.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

See what happens when you get really old like the 'Doc here,Kevin? Ya know everything.----And on a good day you can remember some of it  :P

Sorry Dennis; I couldn't help myself  :-[
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Kevinsews

Thanks Doc.  I get the picture, and some of those layers I pulled off make sense now.

@Darren- Glad Doc can pass on his wisdom to a young whippersnapper like me.  Wish I found this forum years ago!

sofadoc

BTW Kevin: In my senility, I didn't notice that was your first post. Welcome.

Don't listen to Darren. He gets loopy when it's way past his bedtime. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban