Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 03:24:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone done one of these tables

Started by Highvelocity, January 09, 2013, 01:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: Upholstery Clinic on January 28, 2013, 05:04:27 pm
If one plans on doing a lot of this type of work over the long term as opposed to just getting it done it i worth using the proper vinyl.
I've been doing medical equipment for local hospitals and doctor's offices for over 30 years.
I've used commercial (hospitality grade) vinyl. And I've used regular cheap vinyl.

Frankly, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason which lasts longer. I've had commercial vinyl that didn't last 5 years, and I've had regular vinyl that lasted 7 or more years.

I currently have an optometrist that runs to JoAnn's every few months, and buys a couple yards of vinyl for me to put on his exam chairs.

Like most areas, we have a lot of Asian doctors around here. If I told them that they could have hospital grade vinyl for only $1 more, they would still opt for the cheaper vinyl.

With so many Doctors operating under managed health care companies now, even the cheap vinyl often outlasts the Doctor's tenure.
It's nothing for me to recover medical seating that I last recovered 10 years and 3 Doctors ago.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

pat

Hi thought my last little note had gotten through, oh wrong. I have done numerous chiro, hospital, table in my 26 yrs. The real trick is to get your client too take them apart, and then you can pick them up. Most head-rests on chiro tables take a long time to take apart 30 to 45 minutes. As far a upholstery, its very easy. Your main time is in taking the bloody tables apart and puttin them back together, my suggestion take pictures of every piece, definitely helps, and I am sorry your price is defiantly low, 20 years ago i was charging 350. with vinly PAT

Highvelocity

Pat,
   You are a little behind on this thread.  I already posted that I went up to $300 plus material on my final quote and thanked everyone on this thread.  This has turned out to be a long thread so you kinda have to read through it all to get up to speed...no worries.

Thanks, 
     Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

sofadoc

Quote from: Highvelocity on January 29, 2013, 06:11:46 am
Pat,
   You are a little behind on this thread.  I already posted that I went up to $300 plus material on my final quote and thanked everyone on this thread.
I think what Pat is saying, is that $350 is what he charged 20 years ago. So he saying that it's way too low for today. 

Really and truly though, it's tough for upholsterers from all different regions of the country (and world) to come on here and talk price. If my house were in a similar neighborhood on the east or west coast, it might be valued at more than 3 times what it is here in Texas. I know some people that moved here from California. They sold their house there, bought a bigger one here, and pocketed the difference of 600K.

20 years ago, if I had tried to charge a Chiropractor $350, he probably would've filed a complaint with the BBB.
Heck, he might have even tried to have me arrested ;D.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Highvelocity

Sofa,
   You are so right, I have a friend who paid $450 for his table to be done in Princeton NJ which is very a richie rich area.  And of course everything in the area is pricey, but he also charges higher fees for his chiro services.  Were I live it's more median priced homes etc. 
In general though, it seems that in most trades the price of work goes up slower than the cost of living dictates...haha 

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on January 29, 2013, 06:47:10 am
If my house were in a similar neighborhood on the east or west coast, it might be valued at more than 3 times what it is here in Texas. I know some people that moved here from California. They sold their house there, bought a bigger one here, and pocketed the difference of 600K.

sofa that's just what I did when I got on the net and saw prices I had a lake house in new Hampshire I sold and got a better place here for 1/3 the cost.  but also latly on some jobs I find it hard to get the same prices I did in NH 10 year ago