Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 12:24:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rent, own or work at home

Started by kodydog, January 06, 2013, 07:35:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you work in a comercial building or at home?

Rent
2 (12.5%)
Buying Comercial
0 (0%)
Own Comercial
3 (18.8%)
Work at home
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Darren Henry

Jd's SWEET set up is the bomb. Best of all worlds.

My .02 cents.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

You guys are missing the big picture here. The bottom line is......it's good to have Bobbin back on board. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Quote from: sofadoc on January 07, 2013, 05:07:42 pm
You guys are missing the big picture here. The bottom line is......it's good to have Bobbin back on board. ;)

I missed Bobbin. Its about time you got back her ma'am. :)

Chris

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on January 07, 2013, 11:44:12 am
I hope that everyone answers this poll.
Stephen touched on it briefly, but I would be interested to hear how different parts of the country handle residential restrictions on home based businesses. 
If I tried to work out of my garage in my neighborhood, they'd throw me UNDER the jail.

My wife and I have been in business nearly 30 years. In that time our #1 biggest mistake was giving up our commercial shop. We worked hard to get that building including hiring a lawyer to clean up some clouds and living in it, for 6 months, to get a better (residential) and longer mortgage rate. The two greatest things about owning a commercial building is the tax write offs and the appreciation of property value. 15 years ago we sold it to cash in on rising property values. Hind site is 20/20. We now see the value has tripled.

I love my 864 sf shop and love working at home. And yes it takes a lot of discipline to stick to the money making work and not wonder off to do some gardening or play with the dogs.

In the last 15 years I have owned two homes with my shop at each. Both are rural property's and both neighborhoods have restrictions. Including against businesses. Both times I let my neighbors know what I was doing as they would find out anyway, and both times I kept a very low profile, making sure to keep a very tidy landscape and telling my neighbors to let me know if my business ever bothers them. I've never had a complaint.

My current house is 1 hour north of Gainesville and I can now see this was mistake #2. When we moved here we thought our customers would follow us. And at first they did. But the economy and gas prices hit us hard and made us realize what a benefit a commercial business in town would have been. Customers like a brick and mortar building and like to know where there furniture is going. When new customers call they always ask where we are. And we always respond, our insurance doesn't allow customers on the property but we do all our business at your house, fabric selection, estimates, and P/U and delivery. Some customers are flabbergasted and can't believe we do business this way. Were working on rectifying our mistakes.

I currently work for a guy in Gainesville and plan on selling our rural house and move back there.

Welcome back Bobbin, missed you.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

I believe I am in a situation that is unique to most upholsterers. I never see my customers. I only get the chance to meet a few of them throughout the year unless they attend one of my seminars.

I could open a shop in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mnt's and as long as I have a phone and e-mail service I am good to go. All I need near me is a UPS store and somewhere to have my materials shipped to me.

I am in desperate need of a new shop though. I am really cramped in my 17 x 22 shop. I hope to be able to build a new one on the back of our property. I can understand why some of you go commercial. You have a lot of foot traffic. I have nearly none show up at my door.

This week I have orders going to AZ, CA and Washington. They don't know where I live except I am in Florida somewhere close to Tampa. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 07, 2013, 03:57:25 pm
>It looks professional. Regardless of you reputation or how widely you are know locally ; there is always that clown who wants to see you as some schmuck with a sewing machine and tell you the wrong way to do your job at an insulting rate of pay because of his perception.
Exactly. If I were going to work from my garage, I would treat it with the same secrecy that Bruce Wayne did the Batcave. I would have my virtual storefront via the web. And I would always go to the customer. When they start backing their truck up in your driveway, that is when they expect to save a bundle.

But a separate shop on the same property as your residence is a different story. It CAN be perceived by the general public as a legitimate business (provided zoning laws allow).
But every case I can think of around here (alterations, lawn mower, computer repair, etc.) there's always a sign instructing you to go over to the house and knock on the door for service. To me, if you're going to run it that way, you may as well just work from your garage.

Operating an adjacent business takes discipline..........a discipline that I think that I would be sorely lacking in. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

crammage

I've been working from home for both my jobs (Financial Analyst - pays the bills, Upholstery - fun money  ;D)  from home for the last three years.  It does take some discipline to do it but I'm extremely driven by deadlines.  I always give myself deadlines in both jobs that keeps me motivated to work and not play during the designated hours (1st job 7am -5pm, second job - whenever needed).  The hard part for me is not mixing the two.  Obviously I have people call about upholstery needs during the day when I'm working my other job, but I take the calls anyway.  My employer is aware of my situation and actually very supportive.  As long as I get my job done they don't really care about how many or how few hours I put in, just give them what they want when they want it and they have a big smile on their face. 

When I'm really crunched for upholstery work and under tight deadlines I will work my "lunch hour" on furniture related stuff. 

I have another rule, I don't work either job on Sunday.  We go to church, take our daughter out for lunch, drop her off back at the dorm and then go do whatever us empty nest couples do on a Sunday afternoon. 

Clay

Mike

I have people stop at my house because they see m,y truck they still think I have  a shop elsewhere  and when I did they also did I don't have boat come to me they don't anyway I have to travel. actualy I like if I have some seat to do I can go out back in the evening after dinner

Mike

going to change my vote I rented a 1000sf space for more room to work.

cajunpedaler

I've done it all. Rented, worked (literally) out of the house and now work at home in a dedicated building for upholstery.  They each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Perry
Jackson, LA
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

Darren Henry

QuoteI rented a 1000sf space for more room to work.

Do tell. I don't imagine you have any pics yet,but ---close to home? parking decent?Is it in a strip mall or what?How's the light/ neighbours/ creature comforts like A/C running water etc...?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Well Darren about 2 miles from home. 1 unit out of 8 in a industrial metal building. 
Overhead door  no ac yet? No fenced boat parking but i could have a small traiera le for the day outside. I could get it inside but im just going to se up big tables as i dont have much call to bring a boat here anyway i have to go pattern dockside.  It is a large high space to ac so im going to see how this place goese before in past spots i enclosed the tables and cooled them.   But if this idls all tables

Darren Henry

QuoteI could get it inside but im just going to se up big tables as i dont have much call to bring a boat here

I guess you'll use the place at home for oil changes,fix the bike (if you still have it), etc...BUT!! if your tables were on locking casters(maybe drop leafed as well) you would have the option to use the bay if you ever had to.

either way it  saves you from that "lost income" left turn on the way to your currant shop  :P

Should work well for 'ya buddy.

Mike

Spent the day pinting the new shop white.
Tomorow a sewing table.