Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:28:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam-backed Capitano sources...

Started by Pegasus2007, January 15, 2013, 02:14:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

Hi everyone!  Here I am again with another issue.  I have a job that only needs five yards of foam-backed Capitano and the minimum order for the color I need will be 15 to 20 yards.  I am covering plywood panels that will fasten to the wall of a camper. I'd rather not have to order the extra yardage and sit on it for who knows how long.  What do you folks do?  Should I get 1/4 foam and glue it to the plywood and then cover it with plain Capitano?  Can I even get 1/4 foam?  Thanks!

Darren Henry

I think I need an American-Canadian dictionary. [I once almost ordered a roll of ply-grip to see if it was any better than curve-eze LOL]. What is Capitano? Is that a type of vinyl? The velour like stuff on your car's headliner?

Up here most of my suppliers carry the 1/4" roll foam as well as the more popular 1/2 & 1". If you can get cuts of the non-foam backed Capitano; that's the way I would go.

I've been running the upholstery shop at an RV parts and service shop for almost 3 years and haven't had any units come through (that I saw from my cage over in the corner) with padded walls. What type of camper is it? And which walls are you upholstering? Sounds like a kewl project;but it does bring up a couple of questions.

You mentioned plywood. What did you have in mind -- 1/8th Luan ? --1/4" G1S ( the thinnest spruce plywood I can get up here)?--Or did you mean 1/8th wall board/panelling? That's what our techs sheet everything in. We pay retail at Windsor plywood ---around $20/4X8 sheet. You could probably get their "scratch and dents" for half that, and once you spray the glue on nobody gonna know but us  8).

Obviously you will be using a high heat resistant adhesive to stick the foam/material to the board---but how are you attaching the boards to the framework of the unit?The reason I ask is:if you going to screw and button, or staple and add battens, do you think 1/4 foam is enough or would 1/2" maybe be better? I would think that this would hide more of the woops and wows that camper walls are famous for, and give it a little richer look. If you're using rosettes, 1/4 " would be all you need I think.

Please post pics. maybe I can convince "Diaper man" to move past 1974. It would be nice to do something that actually resembles professional upholstery again.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

1/4" foam is readily available and you plan sounds solid. If these are large pieces I'd glue the vinyl to the foam also so it won't tend to sag in heat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Pegasus2007

Minuph, that was one of my concerns that I forgot to express.  The sagging issue.  I agree that I will have to glue both the foam to the plywood and the vinyl to the foam.  Yuck.  Darren, I am doing this for a customer not myself.  He is going to deal with the attachment issues. I am just going to cover a number of 1/4" plywood pieces with a marine vinyl called Nautolex Capitano.

Darren Henry

QuoteHe is going to deal with the attachment issues.

::) Oh Oh  ::) Make sure to mention that he is responsible for the cuts and labeling,and that you require ??an 1/8" ?? for the vinyl and foam.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

good point Darren wouldn't want to be blamed for it being too tight  :o

zanepurcell

for me, gluing foam to vinyl with spray adhesive would take precendence over just gluding foam to the wood. Depending on the size of the panels, I would think foam glued to vinyl and then properly mounted on the board panels is sufficient.

Zane

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Vinyl_%28Marine_Grade_Seating%29/Nautolex_Marine_Vinyl_-_Capitano/index.html

http://upholsterysupplyonline.com/products/Sew-Foam-1%7B47%7D4%22.html