Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:28:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help with Heavy tenara thread...

Started by raindodger, December 08, 2012, 09:14:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

raindodger

Hi all, I need some tips /advice for sewing with tenara heavy (138)  I have been using 92 poly but I have a customer who wants tenara heavy so I said ok, and I just cant get it figured out. The tenara keeps shredding at the needle,  I've tried playing with tension and needle sizes.  I'm using a 22 needle now and cant make it 2 ft imto a seam before the two strands of thread start coming apart.  Any helpfor a newb like me?  At first I couldnt get the loops from the top thread to pull tight, and I ended up making the stroke on the take upp spring longer and now the loops pull tight but the thread just shreds. Could it be the takeup spring? I've tried readjusting it and I can either get big  loops or the thread comes apart

I am sewing on a juki 1541S and ive tried #18 serv7, 20 (with various points) and now I'm on a 22 needle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kevin

Mojo

Kevin:

I sew daily with Solarfix ( Tenara in another brand ) and it is the 2000 size ( 138 ). The vast majority of issues with Tenara are tension related. I use a size 18 needle to minimize the hole size on the acrylic I sew. I run a tiny bit less tension as well.

I screwed around with my machine when I first started sewing with Tenara, using a magnifying glass to study the stitches. What I found was I was going the wrong way with my tension. I was really tightening it up. As soon as I loosened the tension a bit the machine sewed it like a dream. I currently run a bit more bottom tension then top. I also have a dedicated bobbin case so I do not have to screw with the bottom tension when changing thread types. One bobbin case for tenara and one for poly.

I never experience issues with Tenara. My machine loves the stuff. The minute I go to 138 Poly and the crap hits the fan.

The tenara takes some getting used to. many of us have had the same frustrations. It is real finicky with tension settings. Be sure you check your entire thread from needle to spool to make sure it is not getting hung up anywhere. Also I use every single thread guide hole the machine has when sewing with tenara. I never skip any thread guide holes like I do with Poly.

I have sewn 5 lbs of the stuff this year and have not had one issue at all. Hope this helps.

Chris

raindodger

I have to skip a lot of the thread guid holes, if I dont, then there is so much tension that the thread snaps instantly. Even with the tensioner so loose that the knob is about to fall off.  I'm not sure what to do now.  I was up until 2am trying to get this crap to sew, then back to it from 7am until now.  Maybe its the spool? I dont know.

Mojo

If your skipping holes. loosening the tension rings and it is still to tight then something is wrong with your tensioner.

have you disassembled your tensioner and cleaned the discs ? Something does not sound right. tenara typically glides through everything with little effort.

Chris

raindodger

I took the tensioner apart and made sure it was clean, and cleaned and inspected everything I could think of to no avail.  My machine is almost brand new, and has never had a problem before with anything.  This is the first time ive ever had a problem with it, and its also the first time ive ever used tenara.  Ive had 69, 92, and 138 poly in it before without a hitch.  It just doesnt seem to like tenara. 

However, I finally got mad enough that I was about to fine tune my sewing machine with a sledge hammer so I took a break and tried not to think about it for a few minutes.  When I returned, I fiddled with a few things (like ive been doing) and I think I might have done something right because now it is sewing.  I really have no Idea what is different now vs an hour ago, but I think I just need to play with the tension a little more and I'll have it where I want it.  Still Skipping a bunch of guide holes but the tension finally feels like it should and the thread is running through the machine ok now.  Confusing.  I've never experienced issues quite like this before lol.  Thanks Chris for your help

scarab29

what kind or point are you using? MR needle?
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

kevin:

if you think you may get calls for more Tenara thread then you may want to buy an extra bobbin case off e-bay. $ 15 bucks or less. Take the one you have since it is now set up for tenara and put it in a bag marked Tenara. Next time you get a call for tenara you change out the bobbins, adjust the top tension and your good to go.

Just a suggestion. I did this and it makes life much easier. What kind of machine do you have ?

Chris

raindodger

I have a #20 with a ball point right now, and the machine is a newer Juki DNU-1541S. 

I'm really not sure what the problem was but I think it may have been the thread on the first part of the spool.  It was shredding/breaking constantly no matter what I did.  Even if I had the tension really loose and the head threaded skipping a lot of the guide holes.  Also just putting the thread through the first guide holes before the tension discs was causing too much tension on its own.  The thread was also shedding or leaving lint all through the thread path on the machine head (is this normal for Tenara?). After the thread broke the last time, I pulled a few feet off of the spool and trashed it and then rethreaded the machine and it has been working ever since(i must have gone through damn near a half spool trying to get this figured out lol).

Mojo

You got a defective spool of thread. I have never had any of that happen with Solarfix. If it was leaving dust nd stuff behind I am now wondering if you didn't get a bad batch of thread or worse yet it isnt even Tenara. PTFE thread does not leave lint behind because it is made from PTFE.

I would contact your supplier and ask for a replacement. Tell them you have alot of concerns over the spool you have, If your supplier carries Solarfix then I would recommend using that next time. In the long run it is cheaper then Tenara but the quality control and product itself is very high. I have sewn tens of thousands of yards of it and never once had a problem. But I know that if I do, Michael, the head dog at Solarfix will remedy it right away. Their customer service is amazing.

That Juki should sew the hell out of Tenara. Now that I see all the info I can pretty much guess that your right. You have a bad batch of Tenara.

Chris

raindodger

I got the tenara from trivantage, and I should have called them right off the bat.  I know people have had a hard time the first time they use this thread so I didnt know if it was me or the thread.  Thanks for your help Chris, I have another supplier that carries solarfix,  next time I will try that brand.

Usually any question I have I can find an answer for with the search button on this forum (thats why I lurk a lot on here lol) but this one had me stumped for a while.  Thanks to all on here for sharing the knowledge that you do!   :D

Mojo

Your welcome Kevin.

Try the Solarfix. I think you may notice a difference. Hopefully you bought a small spool of the Tenara.

Have a great Christmas.

Chris

forsailbyowner

I have a cone of profilen that's crap. Wouldn't sew for anything. Nothing more aggravating. I quit using it after getting that cone and switched to tenara. I've never had a problem with the light mono. Wonder why they didn't make the heavy mono too? I remember having problems when I used a cone of the heavy tenara. Maybe will try solarfix next order.