Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:28:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Blast from the past

Started by sofadoc, December 03, 2012, 09:52:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

A longtime customer brought in a wicker frame sofa to be recovered last week. She told me that my grandmother covered it over 30 years ago.
She didn't have to tell me that. I would've figured it out soon enough. As I disassembled it, every screw head was stripped out. Most were not fully driven all the way in, and there was a nail hammered in right next to it.

She never understood the importance of having the proper tools. And she wouldn't have dreamed of replacing any screws (heck, those things were durn near a penny apiece).

There were loose threads hanging everywhere inside the frame. When she sewed a seam, she would sew off the end, turn it over, and re-sew the same seam again in it's entirety (this is how she locked her stitches).   

I actually get in pieces that were originally covered by my parents, or grandparents quite often, and they are always good for a laugh. If I still had to do things the slow backward-ass way they did, I would've got out of the business eons ago.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JDUpholstery

so your saying you were taught how not to do things! I bet that is a fun thing to redo something that your family had done

kodydog

Its always fun recovering your own work. The only one you can cuss for putting in to many staples is yourself.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html