Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 07:17:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

trouble cutting fabric

Started by pat, November 18, 2012, 04:58:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

how to cut upholstery weight linen that dose not hold a straight line. For large sectional.  From the UK very expensive. Any tips !!

JDUpholstery

very sharp scissors or electric rotary cutter...as long as it is sharp I have not ran into much that cant be cut by them

Nunyo

November 18, 2012, 06:53:19 pm #2 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:03:34 pm by Nunyo
Mark fabric to cut size then cut it 1 or 1-1/2" larger sew then trim excess. Or mark on back side and line seam area with masking tape before cutting.
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators won't be able to tell you apart.

baileyuph

November 19, 2012, 05:07:29 am #3 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:09:39 am by DB
Does this fabric not lay flat when unrolled on the cutting table?  Some of these new furniture fabrics (cloth) are more difficult to cut and sew due to instability.

It sure can slow the work process down.  The trouble is not literally dull scissors, it is instability, in my experience.

Doyle

kodydog

November 19, 2012, 05:32:24 pm #4 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:35:29 pm by kodydog
I'm not sure what you mean by, "not holding the line". More info please.

JD is correct, the sharper the scissors the better and straighter they will cut.

I also agree with DB. And sometimes the fabric is rolled crooked. I find if I stretch it, both ways on the bias it will help straighten it.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

I'd try a rotary knife and cutting mat. Keep plenty of pressure on your straight edge.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!