Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 09:23:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

got to Outside Arms and...can't figure out what's wrong!

Started by Ageorge, September 28, 2012, 10:42:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

Have you ever got to the outside arms of a project and realized that somewhere along the line you messed up. I look forward to it b/c it's generally the easiest part and that means I'm almost done. I have no time or fabric to redo the inside arms/wings, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the heck I messed up---I can't figure out how to get it on and look right
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/heskett6/sofa079.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/heskett6/sofa078.jpg

sofadoc

About you can do (without more fabric) is remove the inside arm, and sew a pull to the bottom. Maybe this will give you the relief you need to straighten it up. It shouldn't take much time (since you said that you don't have any).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ageorge

did I staple to the wrong spot? I'm so confused. The couch has to be done by Tuesday..which is what I meant by lack time no time to get more fabric in and have it done on time.

sofadoc

Can you bring the backtack on the outside arms up higher? If it causes the OA panel to be too short at the bottom, you could tack any scrap pieces up under the skirt.

Can't say for sure what went wrong. Maybe just try to allow a little more margin for error when cutting panels in the future.

Ageorge

The good news is I have enough fabric to cover the outside arm. The bad news is I can't figure out how to put it on correctly. The curve of the arm is funny..do I staple underneath the top of the arm with the oa fabric and then pull down? The just follow along the bottom of the wing? It just seems weird! I can't wrap my head around it.

sofadoc

Probably, taper the OA panel from top to bottom.
Example: The OA panel might be 18" (top to bottom) at the rear of sofa, and 16" (TTB) at the front of the sofa. Then if you backtack under the inside arm, the pattern won't be thrown crooked.
Make sense?   

Ageorge

Yes!! I hope I did it right...I'm afraid to post pics for all you upholstery masters out there to see. I prayed to the upholstery gods and at least got it on finally. I have to remind myself the thing will be on the floor and not eye level so it may not be as bad as I think

gene

Howdy,

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, but it seems like you got it solved. Another thought for discussion:

It looks like you stapled the inside arm fabric onto the bottom of the wood arm because there is no wood at the top of the side panel.

Or, you stapled the inside arm fabric onto the bottom of the wood arm because you cut the inside arm fabric too short.

Here's a solution to the above: use chip strip to hold the top edge of the outside arm fabric stapled onto the bottom of the wood arm. Instead of stapling the chip strip to the top of the outside arm panel, you staple onto the bottom of the wood arm, making sure to cover the edge of the inside arm fabric.

There will be a space behind the top of the fabric when the fabric is pulled down. This space can be filled with cotton or poly batting.

I hope this makes sense.

Also, you don't have to worry about cutting and pulling the fabric around the front of the arm. I would assume that you will put welt cord along that edge.

I hope the customer likes it. That's the second most important thing. The first most important thing is that they pay their bill.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Ageorge

Yes gene. I think that I was supposed to staple down further on the arm  to begin with. But I didn't change the cotton/batting on the orignal arms and it didn't appear to be enough fullness to staple down on further on the arm, and then place the OA fabric on the outside piece of wood rather than just stapling underneath the arm wood. I couldn't remember how it was put on and when I held up the old OA fabric, it looks like it was not stapled underneath the arm the way I did-but I'm not sure how else it would have worked! :)

gene

I have gotten in the habit of taking pictures with a digital camera of furniture before I take the old fabric off. I focus on any unusual features or special features like tufting or pleats. I have a small TV that I only use to connect my camera to so I can see the pictures better.

I delete the pictures when the project is finished.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Ageorge

The tv is a Great idea! I usually take pictures of everything, but have found that for the most part, I know how to do outside arms. I should never assume that--I just haven't been doing this long enough lol