Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:42:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shiprepairers liability

Started by Mike, September 26, 2012, 12:51:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Ive always needed $1,000,000 liAbility.
But s blst yard today said i neexed shiprepIrers libilty also
My agent said thats odd and when she falked to the insurance rep Lso he said that is for a yRd who has possesion of the boat
If i was do get the shiprepairersit would. An el out my current policy
   Me im just a guy sho goese to the boat to work on it.
Any other boat  folks hear of this? Perhaps june eith your other  buisness  you may have

JuneC

Ship Repairers Liability is for the boat yard/marina.  A general marine liability policy should be all that you need.  I'd certainly challenge that requirement.  I think they're mistaken. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

Right june. 
Ive got a million grneral liability. Ut its there hyard and that what they think they must be confused sith a new insuance co.
Ive been in the yard before not this year and never was asked of this.

JDUpholstery

I have to have garage keepers liability (somewhat same thing except mine covers all vehicles parked in/at my shop) to cover the boats/cars that are at my shop for repairs, but I don't see why you would need that if working on someone else' yard/marina...seems a little excessive!

Mike

Well good news the bosrd decided it was on for me to work there and my insurance was om as it was before ehen i worked there in the past. I feel better as this is a 58' hattaras.

DBR1957

The problem is, everyone will give you a different story. Insurance applications are different if you're
working on the boat while it is in the water of if it is blocked or trailered on land. One thing to make
sure of is that you have "Care and Control" on your policy. From start to finish of the project you
technically have care and control of the vessel. This might be what the yard calls Ship Repairers Liability.
No matter what service you are performing you have been granted access to the boat and given control.
Your policy might already include this so verify that with your agent.

What really sucks is that our line of work is based in the same category as mechanics and service people
that work on electronics. What we do is only one step up from detailers yet our insurance rates are the
same as mechanics. When was the last time anyone had a legitimate insurance claim filed against them.

I had a marina that wanted me to provide OSHA certification. That certification cost $10,000 for the classes.
After many days on the phone getting passed from one authority to another, I finally reached someone with
some sense that told me canvas work falls under the classification of an artisan and the certification wasn't
needed. However, that was because I was a proprietor. If you're incorporated, even if you're the only person
doing work, then you're an employee and different requirements may have to be met. For example, employees
are supposed to have had safety training and wear a PFD while performing work on the boat while it's in the
water.

A friend of mine has an HVAC business. They had a customer in a big marina with a floating condo and had
serviced his HVAC for years. Seems this marina had a problem with some shady vendors. Because of that they
had to go through this big ordeal of making sure everyone had all kinds of insurance. One day the HVAC tech
goes to service the condo and is hit at the front desk with all these forms that had to be filled out. My friend
called the customer and told him they could no longer service him because it would cost more to fulfill the
marina requirements than he could bill the customer for in 20 years.

Mojo

I would appreciate you getting my Haterras done before starting on another.

:P   8)   ;D

Chris

Mike

Gona have to wait chris. Ive gotone of theese to put a enclosure on