Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 07:20:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

That Cheap $ 6.00 Tool

Started by Mojo, September 14, 2012, 07:10:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I mentioned a while back about a large guide I bought off e-bay for $ 6 bucks. That stupid thing has really helped me speed up production and given me straight stitch lines. I had my wife video tape it so you could see it in action.

I am a very slow stitcher as compared to most of you old masters so cut me some slack here. :) I am sewing a topper in this video ( Sattler acrylic ). The fabric does not move the magnetic guide around at all. I had a small version and that one it did move around. Since I went to the large guide I have had no problems.

Here is the video:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Up%20Shop/?action=view&current=FabricGuide.mp4

Chris

Mojo

A couple more comments:

I periodically clean the area on the machine where I use the guide with alcohol swabs to remove the oil residue. I also clean the bottom of the guide/magnet area with alcohol. This helps to keep it from sliding around.

This is the guide and the vendor that I bought this particular guide from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-MAGNETIC-SEAM-GUIDE-FOR-SEWING-MACHINES-/390080831517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad2a1201d

Chris

sofadoc

So why aren't you using that $20 knee lift?  ;)

Don't be too hard on yourself. That's about as fast as I ever sew. I could sew faster. I just choose not to.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Toledo Mach. Sales

Us old guys don't need them stinkin guides!!  LOL
Of course I only have to test the machines & doesn't matter what it looks like.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

needles eye

Yo bud
luv going thru your photo album man it's like going back in time
good job mate, tidy effort
spinout
love your sign over door, thou shalt not whine ..
also have the same sewing machine door magnets from Vistaprint too
piching lotsa ideas snooping round your office photo captures
hey you've inspired me
where can i get a guide like that old chap?
hey do you watch the needle or the seam allowance?
you probably learnt some bad trix when starting out
like me
apparently it's best to watch the seam from the start
but guess it all depends on the particular job you are doin'

gene

September 14, 2012, 01:10:14 pm #5 Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:11:41 pm by gene
Thanks for the video.

It must be nice to sew with that fabric all day. I had a fabric from "H  E  Double Hockey Sticks" yesterday. It took me twice as long to make a boxed cushion as it normally does.

I use window cleaner to wipe around my machine. I learned that from a sewing machine mechanic.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Allan

September 15, 2012, 01:16:26 am #6 Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:17:13 am by Allan
Good one Chris

I have been looking for a big one of those guides at the right price for a while now
We old fellas need some help  ;D
Allan

Mojo

We get old....we get shaky mate.

How are you doing cobber ? How are things in Q Land ?

Chris

Allan

Chris

All is good still working away in Gladstone so not touching the machines much
Getting ready for next year some time when i think i'll retire again
Hope all is well with you and your wife heading into winter brrrrrrr!!!!    :D

Allan

Mojo

We are doing well. Me Sheila just spent a month in Bonnel's Bay with her family. She had a great time while I held down the fort.

I would like to get over to Oz next year but not sure if I will be able to or not. Glad your going well mate.

Chris

Rich

Nice, neat work area! I like your idea for feeding the black tape (or velcro, or whatever. Could work for me with zippers).
On the magnetic block, what is the loop for?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

fragged8

thats about as fast as i can sew and keep it straight

Is your hair really that grey  ;D  makes me feel better about mine
thanks hehehe

Rich

Mojo

Richard:

My hair never was grey. It used to be red but then I joined this forum and Dennis, Ed and Gene turned it grey. :)

Rich: The loop at the bottom ?? I haven't a clue.  :) The tang on the right side is for lifting it off the table.

This thing does stay in place well. It can be slid around if you put a lot of pressure on it but for the most party when sewing canvas it holds well. It has really sped up my production and resulted in nice straight stitch lines. I am so frigging anal and OCD a slight bend in my stitch line would send me over the moon. :)

Needles: I was taught by the good folks here on the forum when I first started in this trade to never watch the needle. I got into the habit of using the right part of the foot as my guide.

Chris

Rich

Oh, I know, it doubles as a used staple collector. You connect a string to the loop, and tie the other end to your dog's collar. He's put to good use picking up staples as he walks around the shop.
I don't know, just a thought.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!