Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 02:55:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

bunching thread, help needed

Started by Sorethumbs, August 28, 2012, 10:04:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I'm a bit late on this tread:

My machine shows a T90 thread takes a #22 needle.

As a bit of encouragement, my machine was skipping stitches recently. I took an hour or so and went through my book and was able to check and adjust things that were a bit off.

I found that the tippy tip of the tread take up part of the bobbin was able to be moved just a wee bit closer to the needle.

My machine now sews with wanton abandonment.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

needles eye

22 seems a trifle big to me (for leaks) but prob good for leather [unless using a leather wedge point] but nonetheless that's really most wonderful news indeed, gene, insofar to the wanton abandonment, and, that shuttle hook tweak, nice job  - proxime accessit (L.), he came next (to the prizeman).

brankin

Quote from: Sorethumbs on September 07, 2012, 09:23:10 am
Quote from: needles eye on August 31, 2012, 08:25:40 pm
make sure the tensioner threading is correct too!
the thread goes out the tensioner assembly to an arm and then back to tensioner  and up ... check 238 manual

I don't follow this, could you explain more. My threading procedure goes like this: 1) off the spool, 2) up to an over-machine arm, 3) down to a metal pin of top of the machine, twice trough, 4) down to a bracket, thrice trough, 5) down and around the tensioner clockwise,  6) through the litte spring retainer on the tensioner, 7) over to a small downward pointing arm, 8 ) up and trough the large osillating arm (take-up lever), 9) down to and through a small thread retainer near the needle, 10) through the needle.

I do have some updates, good news and bad. Good news, I got the machine sewing. The thread is interlocking between the layers of fabric! I changed the bobbin case & bobbin. I think the machine came with the wrong ones. I also changed to a size 20 needle.

The bad news: there is a part completly missing from the machine. The final threading step is to pass the thread through a "thread retainer." That is the missing part. It is a small arm that extends from the machine to a position in front of and above the needle. It has been replaced by a small bracket that sits on the shaft above the needle. I think the original "thread retainer" probibly adds a small amount of tension to the thread. I called several industrial machine shops but none had the part. Oh well, I guess if the machine keeps going I can't get that bummed.

I have a pfaff 138 which is the same machine.  give me a call at 772-three four two 8310 and I can tell you what is wrong.  Brankin

zanepurcell

ive had this issue and it was the adjustment of the bobbin case opener. the top thread could pull up the bobbin but the retarding in the case opener caused some bad bunching.