Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 12:15:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Batten Down the hatches Mike

Started by Mojo, August 21, 2012, 05:12:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

The forecast for the storm is to skirt the west coast all the way to the panhandle. North central Fl is still recovering from TS Debbie. Lots of standing water. I hear Texas needs rain. Maybe us Floridians can huff and puff and blow the storm west.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

It really doesn't matter if it hits my area ( Tampa ) hard or not. We have gotten so much rain in the last month that rivers and creeks are already over flood stage. All we need is to get a glancing blow and we are going to be in trouble.

I just finished cutting the two dead oak trees down near the house. I still have a few left that need to come down which are very close to the house but will let those go for the time being and say a few prayers. :)

I got an order from a customer but cannot ship it till he gets back. He is evacuating.

If this storm picks up steam and goes Cat 2 we are going to see some problems. Either way if it stays as a Trop Storm your going to be hearing about some major flooding in my area.

Chris

byhammerandhand

Send us the tail.  We could use 1" a day for about a week. (Ohio River Valley)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

August 25, 2012, 12:58:08 pm #18 Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:39:12 pm by MikeM8560
I had a huge live oak next to my house im glad i cut it down this spring chris
I just got some plywood for my florida room. It is 3 sides of sliding doors looking st the canal.  Brter ti be safe and not have needed it. Looks like thw stom crossed over the souther tip of cuba and sill be over water longer and more. Hance to intensify. After debby a d her storm surge sith her not moving fast the water was at the top of my seawall. Im just wondering how this will be fastfer moving and luckily we will be at low tide monday afternoon

Mike

August 26, 2012, 06:29:10 am #19 Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:35:26 am by MikeM8560
Well the track has moved farther offshore so looks like less wind. Im all so k in eithb louds today and the breeze is picking up not a day  id pick to go patterning. i did board up sindows judt to be safe as hurricsne. Harley took a right turn here at  the last minute   But im more eorried sbout surge. My do k eill probly be under sater again. So i put my bost on the davits  up on shore off the  boat lift
Chris look much beter for you guys up north but im sure you will see rain.  

Ps i had that Rv screen to k stall monday but i instslled it this morning before it got to windy.
I did t think of it or the kener. Ut this was o e of thoose sening thst extend out remotely motorized.
With no. Vertical supports. This screen was  Phiferte. plus
22' long. By 7' tall or to the ground kinda hes y eith no vertical support. The owner is going to look if he may. Eed supprt when the s reen is up. He said he think he had you do eork for him in the past.

gene

August 26, 2012, 06:36:08 am #20 Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:37:44 am by gene
Talking about the surge:

I was on Sanibel Island 8 months after Charley in 2004 and I'll never forget seeing a garage with white sand on the roof. The surge had been that high.

I remember the first time I saw a topo map of SW Florida. Elevation was 14, 5, 7, 1, etc. At first I thought they were talking about 'hundreds of feet'. But then I realized that they were talking about just 'feet'. 14 feet above sea level, 5 feet above sea level, etc. IT doesn't take a big surge to cause a lot of damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp88nUqP028

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

Gene i moved to florida just 4 months before charley. I was never so busy
Heres mu
Dock with tropicsl
Storm debby a couple months
She sas slow and sat in ghs gulf for a day afgdr the eind snd rain here she just blee the eater in.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/IMG_0643.mp4

The water came to the top of my seawall
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/3F32C831-5AD3-4DBA-8571-8850FA6A9FDA-393-000000A5BAFDAA01.jpg
This shows the avarage water hight
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/seacraft/c9eeac90.jpg

Mojo

It is just raining here at the moment. Thankfully it turned away from us.

Unfortunately Lousiana and Mississippi are going to get clobbered. It is going to intensify I believe as it crosses the warm Gulf waters. :(

Mike, I have done alot of coaches so I may have done his. That is possible. If i did It was surely a slide topper. You did the main awning evidently and I do not do those anymore. They are too big for the room I have here.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 24, 2012, 07:03:25 pm
I hear Texas needs rain. Maybe us Floridians can huff and puff and blow the storm west.
I don't ever remember having green grass in August in Texas before, but we've actually already had a fair amount of rain this month. But I'm sure the farmers around here would say that it's still not enough. Normally, a Texas August is 30 days of 100+ temps/no rain, so any rain at all seems like a deluge.
I have a huge delivery scheduled for Thursday, about the time that we'll be getting residuals from whatever hits New Orleans.
I wish you Floridians would keep your storms to yourselves ;).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

August 27, 2012, 05:58:41 am #24 Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:15:03 am by MikeM8560
Yesterday the wind was all blowing and my  neighbor ac ross my canals boat  was leaning over in the mud.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/0824580A-1B22-4F43-A2D9-646966AA0488-731-000000E68ADD1A3C.jpg
We gor some rain and a little sind last night but this morning its cslm and cloudy. I dont thi k well have a high tide this time.   Today ill have to remove my sindow covers and pla e an order. theese storms realy messs up sceduales for days getting ready eith sll the hype. I knew i probly didnt need to bother grtting plywood but i didnt want to get caught later without.   nothing.

Mojo

Mike, I probably should thank you for going to the effort of putting up the plywood.

Sure as hell if you wouldn't have put it up then the storm would have turned right into us. :)

Chris

scarab29

Quote from: MikeM8560 on August 23, 2012, 04:53:15 pm
Say scarab. Sarasota only 30 40
Mins up the road if uour ever  down this way say hi and have a corona.
Do you winter  in sarasota?

I get down a few times a year but not a snowbird yet !! Coming for the mfa convention though and I'll keep in touch as plans firm up.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

gene

Thanks for the pics Mike. It's amazing when you think that the water is NOT backed up from down stream, but rather, everything down stream has that much more water in it.

gene

gene