Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 11:20:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1/2 patterns on a. Boat lift.

Started by Mike, August 09, 2012, 06:23:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

August 09, 2012, 06:23:31 pm Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:59:21 pm by MikeM8560
I rarely have the ease of working with a boat on a trailer. So here on this lift I had to make a bow cover a co koit cover over the glass and a rear zip on extention to the   Bimini  top.  
having to work from inside the boat making a pattern half is the only way  half at a time anyway. 
just half and
Copy it I don't remember if I decided to try it or if I was encourages by peppy   But here one I ionlu took a bow pattern pic as it was just to dang hot out and I just wanted to get done on the cockpit indid a piece on the glass starboard side only and then the top  Se tion running  a strapping tape down then enter of the boat and snapping the plastic pattern to the snaps on thebboat and flaming the pattern to the centerline tape.

The rear top I patterned the wole thing cause I could and it was small

needles eye

Hey, that's very flamin' interesting how you flared it out to the centreline tape being from the first pattern half, and, wonderin' what further feedback Peppie has to share...   

And, mind if one asks what's the  going all up price for the  labour / materials / snaps etc for this kinda evident craftsmanship?

How'd the second half pattern offer up? All good?

Also, how do you prop up all the loose plastic patterning stuff everywhere when first patterning? Running taut from actual snaps in the plastic pattern piece and occy straps or somethink? You have a mini me or 3 hands maybe? smoke and mirrors? lotsa duct tape?

Cheers

Mike

Needles I run a strapping tale down the centerline of the boat after measuring   
Then with a premade tape with snaps in it the plastic it held in place y snapping over it into the stud on the. Oat first the center front the the center rear the. As it inwas walking around the boat I snap the edge being tall help with  reaching from  in the boat. 
when I was first at the. Oat I measure for the rear frames bent it then installed and patterns for the cover with the frames in place all total I had about 13 hours I kinda hate to let the. Customer   know. One day I came out installed the frame and patterned in the morning the next afternoon it was installed
They may think to easy.

needles eye

Thanks Mike

thanks for your time  .time consumer of all things.

haven't seen the superb premade tape idea before ...

do'you sew the eyelets in on some new tape off the first pattern? then same other side diametrically opposed, pattern eyelet binding tape same, then sew on new too?

when you say flare it in, flaring, viz flaming, do you smoooth it in by hand
or sew in some darts
whereabouts?

do you single or double fold all the seams?

do you use the double sided tape sailers secret stuff to hold together or pin?

do you topstitch the seams?
for more strength? or not coz there's to many extra  leaks?

you use  different seam allowance more or less for different materials ?

how much bactacking you do, it can be pretty ugly sometimes, you cover joints?

hey have you tried one of those little electric cutter thingy ma bobs yet?

Cheers for all your great cosmic ideas and your instruction in half patterning mate

toto coelo -  Latin for by the whole heavens : diametrically opposed   :-\

Mike

August 16, 2012, 07:10:02 pm #4 Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:10:54 pm by MikeM8560
Boy that's a lot of questions. But I'll start. Don't know what you meen by flared?  
But on a big long. Enter seam that is difficult to roll the whole piece up to topsew. I learned a trick from seeing a oem cover years ago. And it more waterproof and u. Protected.  
For a two pass cover cut your teo passes to length. And make a half  if le pad of heavy material like herculite. This is for your skull port pole with. Snap tip top. Make the pad eith a snap in it I see two layer to. Over the snap cap from ribbing on the. An as now see the pad in the correct spot on  one of the passes on the. Enter seam side. Now face to face sew a blind seam sewi g he 2 together.
Then now rather then. Rolling it up and top sewing bind the seam. This  inding will be on the u deride of the cover.  Then finnins your cover as normal cutting to shape and  inding the edge with reinforcement for snaps I use polywebbing   The. Kind ce Ter seam save time and lia of rolling it all up and the seam with the. Indian actually is verry waterproof and  no  threads aRe exposed to the sun.

needles eye

Thanking you very kindly Mike, and, can perceive it coming together nicely as you have succinctly described it 'though it seams easy over, man cheers for the tips on binding and snaps and threads ..