Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:33:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pressed board backs

Started by lruthb, June 18, 2012, 09:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lruthb

I got these barstools with the pressed card board barrel backs. The customer just wanted the seats recovered. When manufactured they use 5" x 3" staples to connect the seat to the back. The problem is customers lean back and break one away from the other. I used 2" wood screws in the old wooden seats and it worked well except for a couple. The screws pulled right out of the old wood, now it needed new wood. The next issue was what seemed to be a loose back from the previous issues. Not. Now when they lean back the cardboard is failing/bending above where I reattached the back to the seat. My last attempt to remedy all of this is by using L brackets. I monster glued the brackets to the IB and screwed them thru the cardboard using a large washer with the nut on the backside. Lets hope this is the last time I see any of those stools back in my shop. I want to say it would have been cheaper to just buy new ones but that's not the case.