Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:24:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New product?

Started by byhammerandhand, June 08, 2012, 09:59:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I got a promo on this in my inbox today.   I'm not terribly impressed with Thompson's products (Friends don't let friends use Minwax), but thought this might be of some interest

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/waterproofers/waterseal-fabric-seal
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Scotchguard has had their own brand of water repellant for fabrics for years. I don't know if the Thompson's stuff is any more effective or not (it sure can't be any LESS effective).

I've never been a huge fan of any fabric protection products. To me, they're like herbal supplements.......people believe they work because they WANT to believe they work.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

I'm waiting for this stuff to be commercially available. 

http://www.neverwet.com/videos-news.php

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

It is my understanding that any acrylic fabric ( or vinyl ) should never be treated or cleaned with anything that contains petroleum distillates. It attacks the surface.

I would be curious to know if this formulation of Thompsons contains any PD's. If not then it maybe a cheaper alternative then 303's Fabric Guard.

Chris

DBR1957

Thompson's in an aerosol can equal a lot of waste.

I'm waiting for the Neverwet myself.

Mojo

I was thinking the same thing. How do you stand on a 13 ft high coach and spray down slide toppers  ? if there is the least bit of wind that stuff will carry into the next county.

Chris

ahkahn

Mojo,

You are correct.  Vinyl should only be cleaned with a mild soap and water mixture.  You'd be amazed at how well that works.

Acrylics are about the same, however diluted bleach may also be used.  Check with the mfg of the material, first though. 

-Andrew

sofadoc

Quote from: Poemandass on June 12, 2012, 02:08:25 am
I will certainly come back to visit often and definitely tell some of my internet-inclined friends to visit this site.
You hear that, folks? He's gonna get some of his internet-inclined friends to visit us.
I've always thought this site could use some internet-inclined people. ;)
Watch out Facebook!!!

I have this nagging subliminal urge to go to Canada, and buy a baby carrier
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban