Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:23:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

dot patterning - but there is no frame bow in area

Started by Judy_Boat, June 01, 2012, 07:30:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Hi all,
This is my first attempt at using the dot patterning method on a cover. Luckily the customers boat ( 18' flatiron) is in my driveway.

I am watching the MCTI video on patterning the convertible top many many times.I think I have the basics of the method understood. It is a way of ensuring the seam line distance is consistent between the 2 pieces to be sewn, while still allowing for parts to overlap.

On the back cover portion where the convertible cover portion zips to the rear curtain cover there is no frame.  The back portion of the convertible top has a seam in it (indicated by the red line in the picture. There is a definite dart at this point in the cover.  The yellow line is the frame bow.

Now doing the plastic pattern how do I account for this darted area.  Is it even possible to? The wide end of the dart is about 1.5"

I have lots of scrap material that at this point I am using to do trial covers. There is a lovely blue, red and purple convertible top on it at present.

Mike

I used to do top like that in NH and then i didnt make patterns
I pattern directly with the canvas and indid the top first then fit the aft curtian patterning from the zipper i used to have the top and the piece on each side that snaped to the boat i called the wings the plane was different then the aft curtian   If i was to pattern now with plastic and the dot. Then i would pull the sag out of your llastic and just mark the location where the top and aft curtian zipp together. But that wouldnt have that little dip where the top angle sharper down to the zippered aft curtian you could just pattern the top first with this angle on the wings then after the top in on pattern the curtian
I hope i explained that ok

Judy_Boat

I'm not sure I totally understand
So, make the convertible top from the material.
Then when it comes to the aft curtain.  I can get the start of the zipper placement from the plastic pattern.
Do I tack zipper on to the material blank and then fit to the boat and the convertible top?

Mike

No sorry i can be patterned with plastic but to get that dip behind the rear bow a s. ot have it straight with the back curtian you would need to have the top on first to pattern to unless sombody has a different trick ive. Ever patterened a top like that here in fl.

scarab29

I'd think you could just fold the plastic til you like the fit and mark it no? For the dart that is.Took the mcti bimini course and it was much better explained in person but the vids do teach you the idea well. 
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

JuneC

I make my pattern darts with a stapler.  Just pull the fold where you want it and staple.  It'll be a hair loose because of the nose of the stapler - just mark about an eighth of an inch tighter when transferring your marks to the fabric. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Tejas

June,

I'm a beginner and my darts are sort of OK but not quite right. Would you please describe in a bit more detail. Do you use a pliers-like stapler? Do you staple more-or-less all the way up? My darts at the widest part are about on, but not quite on at the top when fitting on the boat.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

JuneC

I use a plier type stapler and of course can't get to the very point of the dart because there's not enough plastic to grip.  I go as far as I can with the stapler then put a dot with a Sharpie where the tip should go.  A straight line from your last staple holes to the dot should get you home free.  If you end up repositioning staples, make sure you mark which ones are "golden" before removing them from your plastic.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

For darts, I use a stapler or T-Pins. With T-Pins, you can get in pretty tight.
Regal Canvas

Mike

With my pattern with llastic if i have a dart. I just tape it. June you are shrinkwrapping do you have any shrinktape. It stick like crazy holding a parrten

fragged8

Listen to June is my advise

I use a stapler too, it is a P3 Bostitch the staples are very thin
and you can staple fabric as well as plastic.

Staple any darts in from the front and mark them on the back of the
pattern with a line across the join as a line up reference mark.

simples

Mike

The tape  holds darts  great or if i have to make  a cut around a pipe ect. Ill tape  the plastic then just wad it in a lump under my arm and stuff it in the  van   Back  to the shop. Id think staples wiuld tear out of 6 mil plastic
But im not doughting junes word

fragged8

yes they do rip out occasionally but i take care with the pattern if
I have stapled darts in. when they are in plastic not fabric you can see
where the staples have been by the tiny holes so if you do happen to pop
a couple of staples it is easy to see where they should be.

bobbin

When patterns are given to me darts are stapled (but it's pretty "basic", not carved in stone).  It's a plier type stapler that's used.  Usually there are definite Sharpie marks that tell me how snug the dart ought to be at its widest and where the dart will end.  And there are some marks along the length of the dart if it's a long one.  I usually make more sharpie marks and then add my seam allowance and cut along the line the marks define. 

When I'm cutting out the basic shape I always drive way outside the dart area.  After I stitch the darts I'll go back and trim away the extra fabric at the outside part of the dart.  I was "burned" one time by not enough fabric to reach the rub rail... not a good experience.  I fare the lines of the outside edge of the cover AFTER all darts are stitched in place!

Mike

Each way has its Place. Wgen i first starter i did tha e enough room to eork pstterns on a tsble. I used s blank for the top then eaxh windiw i sew a zip on the flap portion and hung it in place snd marked the curves snap line ect  this Eas my second big bost a 38 carver aftcabin.

Nos this was behind my shop and it was no problem.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Flybridge/38carver.jpg

But i tried diing ny first center console eith a t top tO fit around snd made slot of error cutting the canvas thst could have been taPed shut with plastic snd cut the  an as corectly