Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 05:23:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

compound walking foot

Started by gene, June 06, 2012, 07:04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

I have a juki lu 562. Yes, the small bobbin.

Why does it not sew two pieces of fabric together perfectly, no matter what fabric I am using?

If I sew two pieces of fabric together that are 30" each, one may end up being 30 1/2" or maybe 31", for example.

I am not having any problems with my machine. I love it. I have been wondering why I need to "work the material" sometimes in order to match everything up correctly.

As I look at the presser foot and the upper feed and the feed dog and how they all work together, including the needle moving and being a part of the upper feed, I would think that I could put a piece of 20" silk on top of a piece of 20" leather and sew them together perfectly.

Is it possible to time the machine in such a way that it would work perfectly? Or is fabric the issue and it doesn't matter what kind of machine you use?

Any links to articles on this would be interesting to read.

Thank you,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I'm sure that adjustments could be made to the presser bar and the feed dog, but they would be tedious and time consuming. And you would have to re-adjust every time you changed fabrics.
It's not uncommon to have a little bit of "crawl" on one layer or another. But if you're having a full inch, it may need some adjusting.
I always helped it along with my hands on my 562. But my 1508 has very little slippage.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I believe you can adjust the step of the inner foot fairly easily, but I don't know how it's accomplished.  I bet Gregg would be able to tell you in a jiffy.  I never had that problem with my old 562.  My new 1541 has an adjustment dial on the top of the machine that adjust the feed, I use it to compensate when moving over bulky seams into "flatter territory", but it's a nice feature. 

mike802

My Adler will cause some fabrics to stretch, but it depends on the fabric, most of the time they come out equal.  I have found that pulling the fabric through the machine as it sews usually solves the problem when sewing fabrics that are giving me trouble.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Very difficult to say witout seeing this, but it's possible the machine is not feeding correctly, and it may not be one simple adjustment.