Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 04:16:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cat damage

Started by sofadoc, May 29, 2012, 10:40:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Since clawing is all about scent marking the basic behavior remains only the damage inflicted by claws is removed.  That is why you see declawed cats still going through the scratching motions; they're still leaving the scent marks!!!   All cats claw, from the most dainty housecat to the largest Siberian tiger.  It's what cats do, part of their "job description". 

I did a quick talley of the cats I've known from childhood to the present:  14.  With one exception all have lived into their teens and were permitted access to the great outdoors.  It's my opinion that clawing is no more common in inside vs. outside kitties, the trouble is that inside only kitties don't have the opportunity to do their marking outdoors and so the behavior becomes destructive because they use upholstered furniture and oriental rugs.  And they can inflict a lot of damage with those claws. 

Declawing is also a very profitable way for veterinarians to pay off all their college debt.  Right along with spaying and neutering...

gene

I've heard of people rubbing cat nip on the scratching post to get the cats to scratch there.

Would giving cat nip to your cat be the same as making your daughter sniff a line of coke?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

May 30, 2012, 04:45:50 pm #17 Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:39:37 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: gene on May 30, 2012, 04:39:17 pm
Would giving cat nip to your cat be the same as making your daughter sniff a line of coke?
Who cares, as long as your daughter doesn't scratch the furniture? :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

That might be the best one so far on this forum, sofadoc.  :P

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!