Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 09:12:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question Stocking Fabric

Started by Mojo, May 16, 2012, 06:21:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I posted several months ago ( actually I was whining and crying ) about burning through rolls of fabric. I cannot believe the amount of fabric I went through. I finally quit ordering for the job and now stock common popular colors by buying full rolls of fabric ( approximately 65 yards ).

One reason was to eliminate some of the shipping charges for each order. If it took me 15 yards of fabric to complete one order ( typical of a common coach ) I was ordering constantly. I think MiamiMike got tired of seeing my phone number light up on his phone. :) I was using up a lot of my time ordering.

I typically use 4 colors of the Sattler - heather beige ( which is the factory OEM color ), brown tweed, charcoal tweed and burgundy with an occasional forest green or admiral blue. Mike and I discussed my production situation recently based on my orders from the rally and I believe I am going to order full rolls in these colors. Sometime in February of this year I started ordering full rolls of Sattler because it saved me money on shipping and also most suppliers cut price breaks when ordering in bulk. But it also put the fabric right there in my shop where I could pull, measure and cut and sew.

I hate to buy like this because it is a HUGE stab to my bank account ( full rolls are expensive ) but my production schedule now is so tight I cannot afford one morning or one day of waiting. Mike is going to be moving some stock to Jacksonville for me so it will be ready for me and ship via Blue Streak ( HUGE savings over UPS ).

As a sidenote I got an order for a weird color that I have never seen before. Thankfully Sattler makes it and Miami has it in Jacksonville. This is a fabric I will order only what I need as I doubt I will ever see an order again for that color.

My question is do any of you stock certain fabrics in certain ( popular ) colors ? I know this would be hard for you furniture guys but what about you marine people ? It appears that a lot of marine fabric being used is in hues of blues and greens ( turquoise ).

Chris

JuneC

Oh yeah...  black and captain navy.  While it does hit the bank account kinda hard, it makes the jobs after the middle of the roll or so look REALLY profitable.  It just feels that way  :-X

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

June:

MiamMike told me that Sattler has a better water column then Recacril. Not by much though.

I do know that Mike has toured the factories here and in Europe and said the weave process at Recassens ( Recacril ) in Spain is a completely different weave then Sunbrella which is why it wont stretch. The weave of Sattler, made in Austria is very similar to Recacril.

I have been replacing Sunbrella fabric from the late 90's to early 2000's and the difference between then and now is considerable. The Sunbrella back then was an awesome fabric. It just does not seem to be the same stuff anymore. Rumors inside the industry are saying they changed up the way they weave and the yarns they are using. I myself have no idea except I avoid it like the plaque. My customers wont even order from me if I use it. They are a very research crazy group and once they dislike a product that is it. Word spreads like wildfire. Sunbrella among the higher end coach owners is a bad thing.

I cut all acrylic fabric with a hot knife. It all seems to unravel if using scissors or a razor knife. Because I warrant my toppers for 3 years I do not want any orders coming back to me because of unraveling. I have noticed that Sattler does not unravel as bad. On awnings that have a valance I sew on bias binding. I think the binding gives it a much cleaner and professional look versus the overlock stitching. My customers prefer the binding and do not like the overlock stitching. I think the reason being is most of the cheap awnings used in low end RV's have the overlock stitching. :)
I hate to admit but my customers are a bit snobby and demanding when it comes to certain things. But then again if you had half a million invested in a bus you would be too. :) The million dollar buses almost all have the binding or are folded and sewn. many of them are using Sattler now as well.

Are you using a hot knife on your acrylic ?

Chris

sofadoc

Makes perfect sense for your line of work. But in the furniture biz, people want a HUGE selection.
If I do happen to stock a few popular fabrics, the customer expects a deep discount. I'm not interested in tying my money up in big rolls if I'm just going to have to pass my savings on to the customer. MY risk should be MY reward, shouldn't it?

The funny thing is, that most low/mid priced furniture stores really have a very limited selection of colors and patterns. But customers usually manage to make a choice from the available floor items.

But if I only gave them a few patterns to choose from, they would turn around and walk out.

I stock a few close-out fabrics and vinyls, usually less than 20 yards each. All stuff that I have very little invested in.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Me too re furniture upholstery and fabrics. I have a major fabric wholesaler (trade only) a few miles from my house and I send anyone looking for fabric there as my customer. I had a lady visit their showroom yesterday.

I could be like Henry Ford and tell folks that they can have any color they want, as long as they want black. I'd get a few funeral home jobs and a few goths but that might be about it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

timtheboatguy

I use a lot of Aqualon and have bought the 65 yard rolls but it never fails- if I have a roll on hand of lets say mist gray then everone wants forrest green!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Grebo

May 23, 2012, 10:19:18 am #6 Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:23:44 am by Grebo
Only ever bought one roll of canvas that was for a big job, pacific blue. Haven't used it since  :(

I do buy 2" white fluted vinyl from the UK by the roll as I cant get 2" here.
Captain Navy is popular here as well, funny hardly ever use black  ::)
Having changed over to mostly reacril / Recacril I can pick it up locally by the metre, so dont need to order it in.

;D

Suzi

Mike

I necer had kfxered full rolls maybe i should. If i dod. Lack would be #1 the. #2 capt navy anything else id have it cor awe for sure. As car ass a hot knife i d cound it way to slow curting on a. Ig cover i have my. Enter seam with the factory edge then the exce is trimmed to the boat a d i. An trim it with sissors much faster and for a ceter seam in top cur or not ill bind the seam anyway mKes for a much nicer looking top. Ot having a raw edge topstitched.  At times i sished inhad a full roll on black on hand. But right now ive got a 30 yard job. Black and a  24 yards job red nect to do then  blue.