Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 17, 2024, 02:15:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Removing seat from old recliner

Started by Ageorge, May 01, 2012, 08:53:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

So, I have a customer who asked me to repair the seat of their small, older recliner. The seat is attached and I am unable to reach my stapler to reattach in certain spots (I have not removed it yet--but just tested it out). I tried taking off some of the 'stuff' (the mechanism) underneath but it is a little over my head in that aspect (there are some metal wires, etc) and I don't feel comfortable putting back together. It would even be hard for me to a hammer and tack in certain areas. Any suggestions?

Also--it is defintely not the springs (they aren't coil springs). It looks like the foam needs replaced.

sofadoc

What brand of recliner? If it's a La-z-boy, there are 2 Torx head screws at the front corners (might be Phillips heads if it's REALLY old) underneath. Remove those, then pull the pins out, and now the seat will flip up and over so you can access the rear screws. You will need a long extension to reach the front screws.
Right off, I can't think of any brand that will allow you to re-foam/recover the seat without removing it from the frame/mech.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ageorge

Well, i found the screws that will remove it, but they are stripped. I tried just removing the fabric, but the fabric is stuck under the metal part/screws I can't remove..grr...:)