Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 05:36:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Make my own edgeroll

Started by DDandJ, April 26, 2012, 07:30:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

I ordered a roll of edgroll from my local supplier.  NOT the size I needed.  Not the suppliers fault.  They sent what I ordered.  I ordered the wrong size.  Now I have to decide if I want to send it back or keep it for future projects.

Rather than ordering another roll, which is not cheap by the way, I thought about making my own.  I've got plenty of cotton and burlap.  Edgroll doesn't appear to be rocket science.  I need the edgeroll to finish at about 1" in diameter.  Any tips or tricks?

Thanks guys. 

sofadoc

I don't see why you can't fake it for one job.
In a pinch before, I have tacked a piece of scrap material over the seat, and let it hang over all the way around. I then roll up the excess hangover to form an edgeroll, and staple along the inside edge. This procedure is highly classified 8). If you tell anyone, I'll have to kill ya.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DDandJ

Doc, I will take this trade secret to my grave!  I'm gonna give it a shot.  I made some using the largest cotton filler cord I could find at the fabric store but it wasn't quite fat enough.  I covered it in some scrap fabric just like I would for piping.  Turned out great, but again, just not fat enough.  The edge roll I ordered was way to thick.   

You know, upholstery would probably be a lot easier if I knew how to measure  ;)

sofadoc

Quote from: DDandJ on April 26, 2012, 09:40:39 am
You know, upholstery would probably be a lot easier if I knew how to measure
I wish I had a nickel for every time I cut a panel down twice, and it was STILL too short. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

April 26, 2012, 03:53:51 pm #4 Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:54:54 pm by gene
Some hotdogs are about 1" in diameter. Just hope the homeowner doesn't have any dogs.

Hey, if I can't be of help I might as well try my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnntmLfvYAk

I remembered seeing this video. About 20 secs in Kim is rolling edge roll by hand. Only a few seconds but you can see how he does it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

April 26, 2012, 06:14:09 pm #5 Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:32:24 pm by kodydog
Quote from: DDandJ on April 26, 2012, 09:40:39 am
Doc, I will take this trade secret to my grave!  I'm gonna give it a shot.  I made some using the largest cotton filler cord I could find at the fabric store but it wasn't quite fat enough.  I covered it in some scrap fabric just like I would for piping.  Turned out great, but again, just not fat enough.  The edge roll I ordered was way to thick.    

You know, upholstery would probably be a lot easier if I knew how to measure  ;)

This is a good method DDandJ. If you need it a little thicker you can wrap the cord with cotton before you sew it. Like Doc, trade secret.
Edge roll always seems to come slightly bigger or smaller than advertised in the supply book.
Save the roll you ordered for future jobs.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ahkahn

You know, Gene, that's pretty funny actually.  I mean, wouldn't that be great repeat business??  Stick a hot dog in the middle of the job somewhere and let the dog tear up the chair when it gets back home.  It'll come right back to ya...  how hilarious!  Evening chuckles to myself...

-Andrew