Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 01:32:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

getting a boat top tight ?

Started by fragged8, April 24, 2012, 01:03:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

April 24, 2012, 01:03:07 pm Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:06:47 pm by fragged8
hiya all

I have a top to quote for that I haven't made before, nothing unusual there :-)

the boat is a Sealine 390 statesman and the cover fits between a track along
the fly bridge and a horizontal frame.

these are very similar boats

I dont know if this is an English thing or not but the current top is drum tight
because the bow pocket is laced together with bungee and sew on hooks.

unfortunately the customer wants zipped bow pockets and i'm not sure i can get the top tight
enough with zippers ? are there any tricks to getting these tops tight ?

Rich

Mike

April 24, 2012, 01:26:00 pm #1 Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:28:32 pm by Mike
I did a searay rrack on the arch and it had welded frames front snd rear that the canvas wraped arounf. Bar and laced to a second.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Flybridge/hunter.jpg
Of course you csb just tighten the laces to get it drum tight  and i d done smaller rays track to the arch and had a normal bot with a zippered pocket  as long as you get the pattern tight no reason to eorry unless its to tight.  You might have to fidge a pocket to get it just the way you want it  in that pic it looks like you could release the rear  support legs. I would just make it tight then release the legs to move the rear bow slide the canvas in the tractloosen the frame and zip on the pocket then pull the bow and leg back ticht Nd insert the pin of screw this is were a helper is handy.
This here top was zippered pocket sll around ziped to the handrail and the bows
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Flybridge/60244ccc.jpg

DBR1957

You could cut the sleeve narrower and sew Manart's new 40 gauge 1" elastic
webbing along the zipper. I've seen a similar technique used on side curtains to
automatically adjust for the affect of temperature differences on window vinyl.

The elastic webbing comes in black and white.

Never done it before but it's a thought

Peppy

Before you make the pattern pull filament tape really tight on the frame. One at each bend and one at center.

I use strapping actually with a ratchet and fish scales to measure the tension I put on the frame.
http://i.imgur.com/z2Kr9.jpg
There's a snap in the other end of the strap that goes to the window. The secondary bars are held up with tape as straps. Once it's how I like it I run a line of tape beside the strap to stop it from moving. If they wanted it tight I'd pull the centerline too with tape. I can make a top as tight as you want. Too bad nobody wants tops really tight. I love that sheen tight sunbrella gets.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

JuneC

Easy peasy!  Just make it out of SeaMark and wait a year  ;D

Seriously, what fabric are you using?  You're going to have a devil of a time getting zip pockets tight enough with a top that horizontal.  I think I'd just make it small and enlist the aid of several 200 pound men to help you get it zipped on when done.  I don't like Sunbrella tops that tight because they mist like crazy in heavy rain. The tighter you pull it, the more it mists - seems to open up the weave.  I guess it would do that with any non-vinyl coated fabric.   

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Peppy

Quote from: JuneC on April 24, 2012, 05:25:58 pm
I don't like Sunbrella tops that tight because they mist like crazy in heavy rain. The tighter you pull it, the more it mists - seems to open up the weave.  I guess it would do that with any non-vinyl coated fabric. 

That's probably what the sheen is. You can see through the top.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on April 24, 2012, 05:25:58 pm
Easy peasy!  Just make it out of SeaMark and wait a year  ;D

Seriously, what fabric are you using?  You're going to have a devil of a time getting zip pockets tight enough with a top that horizontal.  I think I'd just make it small and enlist the aid of several 200 pound men to help you get it zipped on when done.  I don't like Sunbrella tops that tight because they mist like crazy in heavy rain. The tighter you pull it, the more it mists - seems to open up the weave.  I guess it would do that with any non-vinyl coated fabric.   

June

and enlist the aid of several 200 pound men to help you get it zipped on when done. 

That's exactly what I was thinking  :P   ;D

Suzi

Mike

Been there done thst i wasnt fat enough

fragged8

hiya

Thanks guys, i think peppy's method is what i was thinking. I remember talk of tensioning the frame

Funny about the elastic webbing, I tried a couple of years ago to get elastic to use with zips aiding tension but in the UK i just couldn't find elastic with sideways stretch .
it was all along the length.

Interesting, I'd like to get hold of some of that webbing, anyone here use it ?

Rich

DBR1957

Haven't used it yet. They just started carrying it.

Now that you brought it up. I'm not sure that it does stretch across the width. I will
have to ask.