Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 09:21:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Made to fit bedding, One for Bobbin ?

Started by Grebo, April 03, 2012, 01:02:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

April 03, 2012, 01:02:07 am Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:04:06 am by Grebo
Hi, I am looking for any hints & tips for getting a good look  ;D
I have done the odd fitted sheet or two, but have just landed a whole bunch of boat beds to do complete  :-X
Sheets, quilts etc.. Four or five cabins two master beds and two or three lots of bunks.

Suzi

bobbin

Quickie reply, Suzi.  I was kinda freaked out by doing bedding at first, don't really know why, just was.  I started with the bottomfitted sheet and basically patterned it over the cushion, pinning the darts at the sides of the cushion.  I allowed an extra 4", thereabouts, for the portion of the sheet that is under the cushion.  I used my overlock machine to attach 3/4" elastic to the bottom raw edge.  I can't quite remember, but I think I allowed the elastic to be around 2/3rds. of the sheet's circumference.  I closed the elastic and marked it in quarters, I stretched it as I serged it onto the sheet (which I also divided into quarters).  It was pretty fast and easy... fiddle with the elastic ratio if there is a lot of give to it. 

As for top sheets... I didn't do too much to them except basically shape them... I figured the size of the body under them could vary a lot and too much cutting and shaping could be bad news for a fatty asleep under them!  Ditto the top quilts... hope this helps, I'll check back to see if you have other questions. 

Grebo

Thanks Bobbin, yes I was thinking that about the quilts  ;) I already warned the customer that they can't be to exact.  I guess look at my own bed & judge the amount of overlap.
Strange isn't it, why I am worrying so much about it  ::) .

Thanks.

Suzi

Grebo

Well I survived the first one, now to knuckled down & get though the rest.  ;D
It wasn't to bad, I levered the mattress out of the bunk & got the sheet around it as it sat on a bigger bed.
Got the shape sorted. Sewed it up in the shop & used it as a guide for the quilt. Plenty of overhang but trimmed to shape. Punter is happy so thats what counts.

Suzi

fragged8

how did you make the quilts Grebo ? just a dacron sandwich ?

rich

bobbin

Suzi, if you get a chance I'd really like to hear more about your foray into bedding, too.  I see that as a really nice niche thing in my area and any ideas esteemed fellow professionals are willing to offer would be most appreciated by yours truly.  :) 

Pictures? (I won't hijack them for any future website, promise!)

Grebo

April 15, 2012, 08:28:19 am #6 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:49:18 am by Grebo
 :-[   Sorry if I mislead you at all.
I just reworked the RTW stuff so that it fits nice.

I sent the owner out to get the bedding he liked with instructions to get it all in the biggest he could.
Saves me hours hunting about looking for decent quality in the colour/pattern they might like.  ???
All I have done is pretty much what you said bobbin. Pinned the bottom sheet up on the boat & marked a 4" undertuck, did the elastic  corners slightly different as I am not that familiar with my overlocker  ::) turned the edge & fed the elastic in 12" from each corner. Used the overlocker for 'adjusting' the quilt cover though. Pinned to shape & straight though the machine, lovely.

The ready made quilts. I checked my own bed which has about 15" overhang. On the second one I decided the safest way was to lay them out on the beds & pin around them leaving about a 12" overhang. Enough to tuck under for a neat 'day look' but hopefully enough for most body's to roll about under.  ::)
Yes Rich they are just a dacron sandwich much to my surprise.

I am currently with out an image host as I just kicked photobucket into touch. With their 'new' privacy policy I am now getting shed loads of sham mail. Let you know when I have another one bobbin  ;)

Suzi