Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 11:51:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do we do this and stay sane !

Started by lc, April 01, 2012, 06:19:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

I have had a bad couple of days !
I can whip out a wing back lickety split nice crisp and professional but this last on was not cooperating  .
I have it finished now but now its the I can't sleep syndrome till Monday when it gets delivered .All the little things I notice that most times the customer doesn't yet it haunts me all the time.
My husband will look it over and see nothing.

So many times I toss and turn and everytime I get up and look at it the next day it doesn't stand out as bad. Things will still have my attention though in some areas .
Once it gets delivered the customers are usually very happy.

Sometimes I think I'm going to have a hard attack with the darn tension...it doesn't help that right now up this way we aren't busy so when jobs such as this slow me down it takes longer the get the money in hand to pay the bills. Geeesh I sound like a broken record !!  heh heh   
I had to vent ...we upholsterers understand but the family doesn't quite get it.
I think I'll go to listen to some Crosby Stills and Nash may relax me a bit.
Thanks to all who listen to our problems ., may seem trivial to some but seem big at the time they are happening.

MinUph

lc,
  Just remember we are our own worst critics. We see everything we do because we do it. As you know most customers never see the little things that we do. Take a deep breath listen to some great music and relax. Delivery will go well and you will get the ooos and aaas :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Like in my thread today. I have knots in my stomach untill i install a can as and see it dits fine. Jt till then  i worry

lc

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes though Mike , I read yours and all I could think was I would not be effective in my job having someone looking over my shoulders..it may happen on home repairs ..I would think it would make room for bloopers. although after I started teaching upholstery courses it did help me become more confident to work around customers ..I really would rather be left alone though.
Thanks Paul ..we all know we all have to breath that's for sure ..Just like Chris he seems to be wearing himself out ..life is to precious to get burn out over it.

sofadoc

It always seemed like the jobs that I worried about the most ended up going off without a hitch.
And the ones that I thought were as close to perfect as I'd ever get were the ones that the customer nitpicked.
Irony is so ironic. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lc

So true !  Customers like that you want to shoot but you have to bow down gracefully and address the issue. That takes talent .That is when you feel cornered like a mouse no matter how perfect you thought it was ..then you leave snarling inside .lol 

timtheboatguy

I am almost always disappointed with my work and the customer is almost always happy. Last fall I did a cover for a guy and I thought it was my best work ever, he nit picked the thing to death. Go figure!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

DBR1957

"How do we do this and stay sane"

If we were sane, we never would have got into this business to begin with.
When sanity finally comes to us, we're so far in we're stuck.