Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 03:51:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cushions with Snaps on the Bottom?

Started by jojo, April 03, 2012, 06:11:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

April 03, 2012, 06:11:00 am Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:12:17 am by jojo
Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

The bottom of each cushion (there are 7) has four pockets (one in each corner) with a snap on them, open on one end so you can get a couple of fingers in there to snap it onto the boat.
Couple of questions: How do I ensure the snaps end up exactly where they should be?
And what do you guys use to mark on white textilene/mesh?
Thanks in advance!
Jo

Here is a link in case the photo's not big:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd509/stitchbiatch/WP_000504.jpg

Grebo

April 03, 2012, 07:34:26 am #1 Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:34:56 am by Grebo
Yes, pretty common around here  ;D

Are you recovering or making from scratch ?
What I do,
When making from my own pattern, is mark the position of the snaps on my pattern from the boat. Make up the patches & sew them on to cover the marks. But I only put the snaps on when on the boat, just in case  ;)
Recovering, well the same really get your patches about right then add the snaps on the boat.
I use pencil on the mesh, it usually rubs off OK with a pencil eraser.
Make sure your patch opening is accessible with the cushion in place.  ;D

Suzi

jojo

Thanks Suzi, I was wondering if there was any way to do it without going to the boat. I've never done this type of cushion before. Usually people drop off cushions (the kind that sits on plywood base and is stapled) at my shop, and I never have to visit the boat.  I will try pencil.

Grebo

Well if you can trust that the old one's are right ?

You might be ok transfering old to new, I am always going back & forth to the marina so it doesn't bother me.
Some one else might have a better idea.

Good luck.

Suzi

Mike

April 03, 2012, 12:21:50 pm #4 Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:01:45 pm by MikeM8560
I install the snap on the pocket before i sew them on due to the dificulty of getting your tool in  There afterwards.   On textine  prncil

bobbin

Jojo, I do it the same way Suzi and Mike do.  You can mark your patterns carefully if you go to the boat (or it's trailered to you) and if you use vinyl for the snap there is usually a little wiggle room because it stretches. 

Pencil on textilene.  And be careful marking the line, it's easy for the pencil to fall into the groove of the open weave and veer of course.  Sucks to get rid of the line.  Buy a white eraser... the pink ones on the end of the pencil leave pink and lead smears.