Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:25:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Doing it the hard way.

Started by Mike, March 28, 2012, 03:55:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I took this snap on mooring cover on a deckboat down in ft myers. Beach. I figured a easy cover andunch later at the beach. I was going to pattern with a blank foating the bOat off the  and pull it to the dock do one side  then Spin it and do the other  I did this many times  back up north   
But i got there this morning it was low tide and couldnt get the boat off the lift   So i snapped the cover in the front snd rear then fit the port side.  Then got  on the swim platform raised the bost then i got out of the boat onto the starboard canal side on to the  lifts crossbrace and skooted along sitting on the beam and cut and fit the. StArboard sIde.

JuneC

Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of the contortions required to do canvas work.  I'm seriously considering limiting my business to upholstery only.  Just this week I had to enlist help from the boatyard to pull WAY oversized Keder welting from the arch track of a boat.  I have no earthly idea how they ever got it in there.  I was one second away from melting the track with a heat gun in order to pull out the welting.  And today I restitched a canvas cover that should have been made in 4 parts instead of 2.  The cover practically fills up the entire back end of my 4Runner.  There must be 40 to 50 yards of Sunbrella there.  I just don't want to deal with it anymore...  Burnout, I guess.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

Ive dealt with that kedar june seems like it swells up inthere. Jouncant even move it. 
What i do is just for e it iut of the track dont slide it out pull it out all the way along the track the track will flex ant let it out easy or it is old Nd. Rittle and. Racks   Had that happen  but its judt about the only way i dont belive sombody installed to large kedar.  My local marine max dealor closed a few gears ago so i havnt seen much latly and im mostly seeing  covers and upholstery.   On the big cover i did a big fountisn sport bost a few gear ago one piece full to the waterline at least 4o yards

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on March 28, 2012, 04:46:17 pm
Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of the contortions required to do canvas work.  I'm seriously considering limiting my business to upholstery only.  Just this week I had to enlist help from the boatyard to pull WAY oversized Keder welting from the arch track of a boat.  I have no earthly idea how they ever got it in there.  I was one second away from melting the track with a heat gun in order to pull out the welting.  And today I restitched a canvas cover that should have been made in 4 parts instead of 2.  The cover practically fills up the entire back end of my 4Runner.  There must be 40 to 50 yards of Sunbrella there.  I just don't want to deal with it anymore...  Burnout, I guess.

June

Know exactly what you mean June, I am enjoying the 'softer side' of our work & getting to dread quoting in on a big cover. Funny enough yesterday I had the same problem with some keder on a dodger, soaked it in silicon spray & left it half on hour while I did something else, then heaved on it with some pliers & my full weight  ??? It was slow going.
Came out with a lot of sand/dust.

Suzi

rustyeod

Been there done that June.  Too bad all kedar tracks arn't straight. And I know what you mean about just doing the upholstery side.  I have noticed lately how my upholstery jobs get done alot quicker than covers and enclosures.

Mike

Aside from removing the seats from the bost its all prety easy   You dont need 16' of sewing tabe and see the finnished seat how it looks before its gona go in the boat. Actualy im seing mkre interiors then big enclosures also rusty.  GettImg old imbing up on a reardecks hardtop to fit a. Ridges rear windows or trying to get the  front window lift the dots eith a fly ridge you gant get out on. Thoose sloopy slick searays 45 or so.